Convert Yamaha DX7 Patches to YM2612 format?

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:33 pm

MintyTheCat:

Well I'm from Frankfurt myself, so I really like when people from/in Germany do the kind of thing I do :D

As to why I use the YM2612 so often, well, I compose(d) music for several MD projects, and I do some research every now and then.

Cheers!

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Oerg866 wrote:MintyTheCat:

Well I'm from Frankfurt myself, so I really like when people from/in Germany do the kind of thing I do :D

As to why I use the YM2612 so often, well, I compose(d) music for several MD projects, and I do some research every now and then.

Cheers!
Yes, there are many Developers and Retro Enthusiasts in Germany :)

Vielleicht wir können weiter sprechen?

foobat
Very interested

Post by foobat » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:52 am

MintyTheCat wrote:
foobat wrote:What do you do with the 2 extra operators? Ignore them?
An Operator can be used or not. It's entirely up to the Musician what he does with each Operator. However, having more Operators gives the Musician the Potential to create more sonically rich Sounds. With FM one must be very very careful as it is very easy to create clangy Noise :) As such, start with a couple of Operators and a simple Algorithm - such as an Algorithm with a single Element of Feedback and then start to alter the Parameters - over Time the Musician can find a Sound that they like.

I own a DX7 myself - it has a fantastic Sound but it's a Bitch to program manually - you need Software for sure as that 2*16 LCD is a hassle.
I meant you won't get the right sound from a 6-op DX7 patch if you convert it to 4-op because it's missing two operators. I also own a DX7 (and a TX7)

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:33 am

foobat wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:
foobat wrote:What do you do with the 2 extra operators? Ignore them?
An Operator can be used or not. It's entirely up to the Musician what he does with each Operator. However, having more Operators gives the Musician the Potential to create more sonically rich Sounds. With FM one must be very very careful as it is very easy to create clangy Noise :) As such, start with a couple of Operators and a simple Algorithm - such as an Algorithm with a single Element of Feedback and then start to alter the Parameters - over Time the Musician can find a Sound that they like.

I own a DX7 myself - it has a fantastic Sound but it's a Bitch to program manually - you need Software for sure as that 2*16 LCD is a hassle.
I meant you won't get the right sound from a 6-op DX7 patch if you convert it to 4-op because it's missing two operators. I also own a DX7 (and a TX7)
Indeed - your Statement was open to interpretation. I understand your Meaning ;)