Convert Yamaha DX7 Patches to YM2612 format?

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Oerg866
Very interested

Convert Yamaha DX7 Patches to YM2612 format?

Post by Oerg866 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi,

i was wondering, since both seem to be almost compatible (except for like hardness and other additional parameters), Has anyone ever written a converter for DX7 patches?

My love for 80s music leads me to this question as I'd really like to use some of the classic stock patches like BASS 1 in my MD works :D

Cheers
Eric

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:50 pm

almost compatible ?
DX7 is 6 operators based as far i remember, this is a *huge* difference.

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:01 pm

Only hope is to approximate, since as Stef said it's DX7's 6 operators vs YM2612's 4 ops.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:20 am

The DX11 uses four operators, so you'd want to use that instead. It used a YM2414, if that helps with the conversion.

foobat
Very interested

Post by foobat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:19 am

Don't even try to aproximate. You can go from ym2612->DX7 but not the other way around, it just can't happen.

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi,

yes you're right, it is 6 op FM. but I talked to some other people (tmee comes to mind) about this before and at least for some patches (Like the aforementioned BASS 1 :D) it seems to be somewhat possible.

I am going to look into the DX11 a bit more. Maybe i can even get one! :P

Cheers.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:52 pm

I only said you can approximate it as that sound is a very basic FM sound...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:56 pm

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:I only said you can approximate it as that sound is a very basic FM sound...
Exactly :D but I love it! :D
In general, we all should appreciate the origin of such epic sounds much more :P

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Oerg866 wrote:
TmEE co.(TM) wrote:I only said you can approximate it as that sound is a very basic FM sound...
In general, we all should appreciate the origin of such epic sounds much more :P
You can use a DX7 as a 4 Operator Device - just switch the Operators off. Search for specific Patches or create a Patch using some Software.

The next to consider is the available Algorithms - check that they both have the same Algorithms and start out using a very simple one first.

I'd advise you to read about FM-Synthesis - even if you understand AM - which most People can understand through the Time-Domain, very few People understand FM as very few People 'think' in the Freq-Domain.

Get yourself a copy of Chowning's Book:

Fm Theory and Applications: By Musicians for Musicians by John Chowning.

You can find it easily as it was published widely.

YM2413 has only one Voice - so you're immediately limited but it would help you to understand. If you pick up the 'Complete DX7' you'll find that the Tutorials start from the absolute basics - and this is the way to approach FM-Synthesis.

*By 'only one Voice' I mean that the rest of the Instruments load in Preset-Voices - leaving the last one as user defined.

Best of Luck.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:06 pm

I finally dig out my old converter (2002!)

It convert DX7, TX81Z (and files from others tools like YamEdit) to y12
It seems I dropped FB01 ..perhaps I wasn't able to handle it

http://gendev.spritesmind.net/files/Y12Manager.zip

foobat
Very interested

Post by foobat » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:39 am

What do you do with the 2 extra operators? Ignore them?

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:59 am

TL=127
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:55 am

MintyTheCat wrote:
Oerg866 wrote:
You can use a DX7 as a 4 Operator Device - just switch the Operators off. Search for specific Patches or create a Patch using some Software.

The next to consider is the available Algorithms - check that they both have the same Algorithms and start out using a very simple one first.

I'd advise you to read about FM-Synthesis - even if you understand AM - which most People can understand through the Time-Domain, very few People understand FM as very few People 'think' in the Freq-Domain.

YM2413 has only one Voice - so you're immediately limited but it would help you to understand. If you pick up the 'Complete DX7' you'll find that the Tutorials start from the absolute basics - and this is the way to approach FM-Synthesis.

*By 'only one Voice' I mean that the rest of the Instruments load in Preset-Voices - leaving the last one as user defined.

Best of Luck.
ein bremer! :D

Thank you for such an elaborate reply. I am actually pretty familiar with fm synthesis as I work with the YM2612 on a daily basis. I do however want to learn constantly, so I'm definitely going to check that stuff out.

KanedaFr: You rock !!!!!

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 pm

Oerg866 wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:
Oerg866 wrote: Exactly :D but I love it! :D

Best of Luck.
ein bremer! :D

Thank you for such an elaborate reply. I am actually pretty familiar with fm synthesis as I work with the YM2612 on a daily basis. I do however want to learn constantly, so I'm definitely going to check that stuff out.

KanedaFr: You rock !!!!!
Ach, ich bin kein Bremer - ich komme aus Großbritannien :D

Warum arbeitest du jeden tag mit die YM2612? Ich muß die YM2612 auch benützen.

Man kann The complete DX7II (Autor Howard Massey) lesen, aber es ist teuer.

Hast du das Projekt bei 'Little-Scale' gesehen?

http://little-scale.com/

Er kann die Megadrive's Sound-Hardware programieren.

Viele Glück ;)

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:52 pm

foobat wrote:What do you do with the 2 extra operators? Ignore them?
An Operator can be used or not. It's entirely up to the Musician what he does with each Operator. However, having more Operators gives the Musician the Potential to create more sonically rich Sounds. With FM one must be very very careful as it is very easy to create clangy Noise :) As such, start with a couple of Operators and a simple Algorithm - such as an Algorithm with a single Element of Feedback and then start to alter the Parameters - over Time the Musician can find a Sound that they like.

I own a DX7 myself - it has a fantastic Sound but it's a Bitch to program manually - you need Software for sure as that 2*16 LCD is a hassle.