Converting XM files to ESF for the Echo Sound System

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

slobu
Very interested

Converting XM files to ESF for the Echo Sound System

Post by slobu » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:51 pm

I found a bunch of tools here to convert XM music to Echos ESF format here:
https://github.com/oerg866/xm2esf

Unfortunatly, I cannot find a proper guide on how to convert XM files.

I'm getting a feeling it's a two step process with the making of some other file ending in .XIF but I'm failing to process even one .XM file

Does anyone know the proper steps to convert XM files?

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:31 am

Hi. I wrote this tool, and I do all my music with it, too, so I assure you, it works quite well :) It has a few bugs that aren't really breaking anything but yeah.... I should release a new version soon :V

Don't use the volume column by the way, it's not supported yet... (It will be ignored)

Here's what you do:

Make an XM with proper channel accomodations (1 XM channel = 1 MD channel!)

Create a XIF file with proper parameters and settings. Remember to make an instrument list for Echo to load first! Then you can assign XM instruments to echo instruments.

Call XM2ESF like this:

xm2esf xif_file.xif output_file.esf

That should be it!

slobu
Very interested

Post by slobu » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks for the help Oerg866!

I tried to use an existing .XM file. I guess the step I was missing was assigning XM Instrument -> Echo Instrument.

Now I see why you'd want to make the XM music yourself: to make sure everything fits in the Genesis sound channels.

I'm off to figure out the next step. Someone managed to get your Echo sound system to work with BasiEgaXorz. I just have to get that converted XM files to play correctly in there. Wish me luck :p

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:10 pm

slobu wrote:Thanks for the help Oerg866!

I tried to use an existing .XM file. I guess the step I was missing was assigning XM Instrument -> Echo Instrument.

Now I see why you'd want to make the XM music yourself: to make sure everything fits in the Genesis sound channels.

I'm off to figure out the next step. Someone managed to get your Echo sound system to work with BasiEgaXorz. I just have to get that converted XM files to play correctly in there. Wish me luck :p
I don't exactly remember what for, but I did get Echo working in BEX aswell, after a lot of circumventing silly BEX bugs...