linear resample audio on sega genesis vs no resample quality

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Which one do you think sounds better

No resampling
71%
linear resampling
29%

Total votes: 7

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:03 pm

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:interpolation gives the same effect as lowering sample rate, except for the really intensive methods like sinc and the like
No, I think what he's doing is raising the sample rate, and interpolating the new samples. For example, double the sample rate, but instead of outputting the same sample twice, you output a sample between the current and the next instead.

sega16
Very interested

Post by sega16 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:
TmEE co.(TM) wrote:interpolation gives the same effect as lowering sample rate, except for the really intensive methods like sinc and the like
No, I think what he's doing is raising the sample rate, and interpolating the new samples. For example, double the sample rate, but instead of outputting the same sample twice, you output a sample between the current and the next instead.
That is exactly what I am doing I have a sample stored at 6000hz and my program will draw a line between the two samples I included the source code in the zip file if anybody is interested in how this all works it is 68kpcm.asm that has the interpolation code.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:20 am

Yeah, you're basically doing linear interpolation and i agree with tmee that it actually make the sample sound at lower rate than without interpolation as you eliminate some high frequencies with that interpolation...