GENNY VST - V1.16 New Release Feb 2020

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

luda

Post by luda » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:38 am

Heard the soundcloud demo. Dat clear synth...

superjoebob
Very interested

Post by superjoebob » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Question! It seems to me SSG-EG isn't even implemented in actual YM2612 hardware, is that true? I was reading up on TFM music maker and it said that SSG-EG settings won't sound correct on real hardware.

If that's true I wanna tear it out entirely, I don't want to support any feature that real hardware didn't have. I'm thinking of replacing the SSG slider with a velocity modifier slider on each of the operators. This would allow you to change how much each TL level is modified by the velocity of the note when it comes in. Seems to me that TL is the best way to change the volume of a note, and a lot of times changing only operator 4 TL just doesn't cut it. I'd love to offer a velocity modifier on every parameter but I don't think I have room :shock:
On a never ending quest to compose for the Genesis/Megadrive

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:59 am

SSG-EG is all correct and working, its the emulators that don't get it right :P
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Aly James
Very interested

Post by Aly James » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:19 am

Yep, same for CSM :)
You can even make some musical notes and unusual waveforms just with one operator and the SSG.
The pitch resolution is quite acceptable and become more steppy as you go higher in envelope period (reduce the envelope time).
It is quite similar to what you can do with the YM2149 so called buzzers...it is actually the SSG EG period mapped to note frequency by the driver/software.

The TFM quote probably refers to the fact that IIRC it was based on the YM2203 witch featured the "full" SSG component from the YM2149...
the 2612 only got the envelope part.

Velocity feature is really a nice add but keep in mind that TL settings alone can be more steppy than the envelope generator.
What I did in FMDrive was optional MIDI velocity conversion on a per operator basis (change volume or FM sound modulation depending on the settings and algorithm).

Great to see this coming to life :)

superjoebob
Very interested

Post by superjoebob » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:06 pm

Good to know that I don't have to scrap my SSG-EG support!

After taking a month break, I've come back to developing GENNY and it's finally at a point where it needs some testing! If you guys have a DAW and wanna test it, send me a PM and I'll send you over a version of the VST. I'm sure there are tons of bugs just waiting to be found right now, and I wanna get rid of them before the final release! Only windows versions right now, but I have both VST and FLStudio versions of GENNY ready to test.

luda

Post by luda » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:49 am

Pretty excited for this :D

superjoebob
Very interested

Post by superjoebob » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:32 am

Fixing bugs and adding features, should be out of beta pretty soon! In the meantime, here's another song I made with it: https://soundcloud.com/superjoebob/80-1

The VGM dump is in the song description. I'm still working on optimizing the logger output, so the VGM is 4 megs big right now. Should be smaller when GENNY is released.

Raijin

Post by Raijin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 am

I am happy to hear development for this is going well. I will patiently await the chance to test this. I will have to get used to a new tracker to be able to use this, like OpenMPT or Madtracker 2, but hopefully things go well as far as that is concerned. My usage of VGM Music Maker to this point has been good, though lately, I am unable to push it any further due to many missing features.

So, I have a question. Will the VGM export feature VGM 1.60, and will exported VGM files have the option to set loop points on/off?

superjoebob
Very interested

Post by superjoebob » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:49 pm

VGM export should be able to feature 1.60 no problem, and I can't see why I couldn't add loop point functionality the same way I'm doing start and end points. So probably!

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:46 pm

For the loop points, you might want to consider reading FF7-style MIDI loop points (text marker CC events named "loopStart" and "loopEnd" respectively on track 0) as that seems to be the most supported in MIDI players (Winamp and Foobar2000 support it, and a couple more obscure ones).

Cris

Post by Cris » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks Man.This VSTI is very good. :D

Aly James
Very interested

Post by Aly James » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:26 am

Hope you got my beta testing log ;)
keep up the good work!

superjoebob
Very interested

Post by superjoebob » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 pm

I did! Lots of really good info, I downloaded Cubase and there's definitely some messed up stuff going on with notes. I'm working to fix a lot of stuff right now, but I have a lot of other work currently so my work on the beta has been going pretty slowly.

dma

Post by dma » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:23 am

Hi superjoebob,

Any news on the new VST? :)
I would gladly beta test it as well if possible.

lu9

Post by lu9 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Me too, I've been looking forward to this VST :)