GENNY VST - V1.16 New Release Feb 2020

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

superjoebob
Very interested

Post by superjoebob » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:11 am

powerofrecall wrote:As someone who loves Genesis sound & uses VSTs often, will this eventually get an x64 version?
Hell yeah, hadn't even thought of that! I'll try to put one up as soon as possible, possibly even tonight.
neologix wrote:Will this also be open-source? I'd love to see what I could do differently to set my upcoming one apart from this one.
My source code is disgusting, so unless I clean it up probably not :P. Can't wait to see your VST, I wouldn't have bothered making one if one had existed!
On a never ending quest to compose for the Genesis/Megadrive

superjoebob
Very interested

Post by superjoebob » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:17 am

Alright I built a 64 bit version, wasn't able to test it though as I'm not sure how to get FL to use it atm. Let me know if it works for you!

http://www.wonthelp.info/YM2612VST_x64.zip

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:37 pm

superjoebob wrote:
neologix wrote:Will this also be open-source? I'd love to see what I could do differently to set my upcoming one apart from this one.
My source code is disgusting, so unless I clean it up probably not :P. Can't wait to see your VST, I wouldn't have bothered making one if one had existed!
I'm used to reading through messy source code. As for mine, it's been in development for some time and I paused it earlier this year to focus on not becoming homeless. I will go back to it and finish, though!

I'm still on the VST 2.4.x SDK and compile with gcc on MINGW+MSYS, so I'll definitely be saving the interface for last. If you use VST 3.x instead, please let me know if you have any suggestions regarding VST3 development, as I'm still in the older mindset.

Regarding suggestions for improvement in yours, I do have a few though:

- My brother tried using it (the 32-bit one, before you released the untested 64-bit one), and seems to have a hard time getting the 6 YM channels to work in one singular track; is there a way to have 6 separate single-channel tracks that feed into the one singular instance, or have 6 separate one-channel instances of the VST loaded?

- The "Load VGM/VGZ" button is gone; can this functionality be restored for the next version or a VGM2TYI converter be released so that we don't have to manually sift through VGM2TXT dumps to figure out parameters for presets we like? (I've done that a few times before to make presets for my online YM2612 player and it's not fun)

- Maybe the howto doc should have a couple of examples on which algorithms are generally good for which instruments like Maxim's YM2612 doc does. I love experimenting, but if someone less experienced than myself starts dicking around w/the parameters (especially OP1 Feedback) and gets a white noise sound they hate, they might not immediately know that they should either use lower pitched notes or change the algorithm entirely to something more additive than modulative (Chrome is telling me "modulative" is not a real word, but dictionary.com says otherwise :D ). The howto doc should have examples in general, really; definitely the "piano" preset from the end of Maxim's doc, a Sonic preset or two, a Phantasy Star 4 preset, a Gunstar Heroes preset, a Landstalker preset, and either a Shining preset (any of the three Shining games will do) or a Shinobi preset.

Overall, I love this effort and once I try the 64-bit version myself I'll let you know if it's too CPU intensive or something; that's a thing that's been ruining my efforts so far and I'd love to figure out why.

luda

Post by luda » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:00 am

I registered just to say congrats on releasing this VST! (Even if it's still in Beta :P)

So far the sounds I've been hearing from just the presets alone sound pretty damn authentic to the original megadrive/genesis games. I recognize some of the bass instruments from their respective games pretty easily, so it's pretty legit.

I'm no expert music producer/composer, but I do like to experiment with sounds from time to time, or even recreate/replicate music from old games with any midis I find and try to enhance them with the exact instruments used in said games. It's worked for me pretty well for Nintendo DS games so far, but not with Genesis.

I've tried to use VOPM many times but it never seems to sound right, even with the massive opm preset collection compiled by someone of all the genesis games.

So far, your vst is the only one I know that gets the sound right to my limited knowledge...but I have no idea how to use it to its maximum potential yet :P

I'm mainly intrigued with the "Load TYI" function...I assume it's to load some sort of parameter/preset, but what exactly does it serve as?
If I can load some preset files for certain games/game tracks, then I can start trying to faithfully remake tracks like I've done for some certain DS games.

powerofrecall
Very interested

Post by powerofrecall » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:31 am

superjoebob wrote:Alright I built a 64 bit version, wasn't able to test it though as I'm not sure how to get FL to use it atm. Let me know if it works for you!

http://www.wonthelp.info/YM2612VST_x64.zip
Just tried it in Synapse Orion 8, x64 and unfortunately it crashes on load... which is strange, because I have made a few x64 private builds of some open source VSTs in the past and have never run into that problem. Maybe check your linker settings, make sure there isn't any voodoo going on there?

powerofrecall
Very interested

Post by powerofrecall » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:34 am

luda wrote: "Load TYI" function
Tiido's format I think. (Does a converter exist?) This is fine but personally I'd love to see some other formats--my whole library is still tfi's. SMPS format import would be good too.

luda

Post by luda » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:54 am

A google search comes up with nothing about a TYI :(

Until something can be done with the import functions to take in other formats like VGM files, I sadly can't use this vst for my purposes....

I even tried to do a manual route of looking at parameters through the use of VGM2TXT but that resulted in a textfile that was 90 mb that I couldn't open at all :P

At least most of the slider functions work as intended for the available presets now :)

superjoebob
Very interested

Post by superjoebob » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:16 am

luda wrote:I registered just to say congrats on releasing this VST! (Even if it's still in Beta :P).
Thanks man! I know what you mean about the issues with VOPM, that's exactly why I made this. As for TYI, it is indeed Tiido's format as powerofrecall suggested. It doesn't actually work in the current build, I initially implemented it on request but have since lost the code due to an SVN mess up on my part. I plan to re-implement it along with some other format loaders. Loading instruments from VGM files is a major possibility in the near future, as I've already written a tool to rip VGM instruments that I used to create the presets for the VST.
powerofrecall wrote: Just tried it in Synapse Orion 8, x64 and unfortunately it crashes on load... which is strange, because I have made a few x64 private builds of some open source VSTs in the past and have never run into that problem. Maybe check your linker settings, make sure there isn't any voodoo going on there?
I'm fairly certain this is indeed a linker problem, one of the libraries I'm linking to must be using the wrong lib or something like that. Thanks for giving it a go, I'll see what I can to to correct this.

luda

Post by luda » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:02 am

superjoebob wrote:
luda wrote:I registered just to say congrats on releasing this VST! (Even if it's still in Beta :P).
Thanks man! I know what you mean about the issues with VOPM, that's exactly why I made this. As for TYI, it is indeed Tiido's format as powerofrecall suggested. It doesn't actually work in the current build, I initially implemented it on request but have since lost the code due to an SVN mess up on my part. I plan to re-implement it along with some other format loaders. Loading instruments from VGM files is a major possibility in the near future, as I've already written a tool to rip VGM instruments that I used to create the presets for the VST.
powerofrecall wrote: Just tried it in Synapse Orion 8, x64 and unfortunately it crashes on load... which is strange, because I have made a few x64 private builds of some open source VSTs in the past and have never run into that problem. Maybe check your linker settings, make sure there isn't any voodoo going on there?
I'm fairly certain this is indeed a linker problem, one of the libraries I'm linking to must be using the wrong lib or something like that. Thanks for giving it a go, I'll see what I can to to correct this.
-Ah that sucks, that's the feature I'm most looking forward to, the import function :(
No matter though, I can wait for that :), I'm just glad there's someone else out there that agrees with me that VOPM is not enough to do a proper job if it doesn't actually emulate the actual YM2612 or w/e soundchip, and have taken the steps to create a VST to reflects said chip.

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:55 pm

I'm in the middle of writing a TYI dumper so that one can take a YM2612 VGM of their choice and get TYI-formatted versions of the FM presets in the file to use with this VSTi.

If I do it right, it will also be able to offer dumping YM2612 to Kaneda's YM12 format, VGM MM's TFI format, and/or ValleyBell's GYB format, and dumping YM2151 to VOPM's OPM format. So far the VGM loading portion of it works, now I just have to duplicate the logic that VGM2TFI and/or VGM2OPM uses.

I will be releasing it as vgm2pre and it will be usable on the command line (for scripting and/or batch processing) and (if I do it right) have a GUI if you run it with no parameters.

trollfred

Post by trollfred » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:22 pm

neologix wrote:I'm in the middle of writing a TYI dumper so that one can take a YM2612 VGM of their choice and get TYI-formatted versions of the FM presets in the file to use with this VSTi.

If I do it right, it will also be able to offer dumping YM2612 to Kaneda's YM12 format, VGM MM's TFI format, and/or ValleyBell's GYB format, and dumping YM2151 to VOPM's OPM format. So far the VGM loading portion of it works, now I just have to duplicate the logic that VGM2TFI and/or VGM2OPM uses.

I will be releasing it as vgm2pre and it will be usable on the command line (for scripting and/or batch processing) and (if I do it right) have a GUI if you run it with no parameters.
waiting 4 it :D

trollfred

Post by trollfred » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Registered to say thank you! Great Job!

superjoebob
Very interested

Post by superjoebob » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 am

@trollfred thanks man, glad you like the VST! I'm still hard at work on it, I'm actually planning to rewrite it completely and fix a lot of the issues I've been having with the codebase.

I've updated the first post with an image of what the new VST's going to look like. I seriously hope I can find some time to make it I'm excited to see it actually work!

luda

Post by luda » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Lookin good! Keep it up

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Question - will this VSTi support automation using MIDI CCs?

Aly James (the guy making FMDRIVE) uses the CCs supported by the little-scale GenMDM hardware (list found here) and I plan on recommending ValleyBell follow it as well for VGM2MIDI (at least for YM2612).