GENNY VST - V1.16 New Release Feb 2020

For anything related to sound (YM2612, PSG, Z80, PCM...)

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

superjoebob
Very interested

Post by superjoebob » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:18 am

Ahhh! Sorry I've been gone forever, I put the project on hiatus while I finished some stuff, but I'm back developing!

It's been taking forever, every time I add something I find something else I can't go without. Thanks a ton to everyone playing with betas, I've gotten a lot of bugs fixed, and improved some functionality to make GENNY easier to use. I still need to add midi automation support. I don't know if I'll have right click menu automation learning like in the YM2612 vst, I think I'll be implementing the GenMDM standard. I really want to add some sliders for vibrato as well, I've been using a lot more of it lately.

Aly I think that means I probably won't be implementing CSM after all :P
Thanks a ton for all the information you gave me on it though, it sent me off on a reading tangent and inspired me to try some stuff in FMDRIVE, which was awesome!

So release date... Probably in January? Gonna aim for January!
On a never ending quest to compose for the Genesis/Megadrive

lu9

Post by lu9 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:28 pm

That sounds cool :)
I heard of FMDrive before.

Anyways, in that thing about Logging VGM, what does it mean when it says it begins at MIDI note C0 and ends at MIDI note C#0?
I actually got it and placed these notes with piano roll on the beginning and end, and the VGM was logged, what it wasn't logging before I placed these notes, however isn't there other way you could make to determine the start and end of the song? Because then I'll need to add these notes and they'll make a sound in the VGM :\
Maybe that is a placeholder?

Aly James
Very interested

Post by Aly James » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Glad you have fun ;) too bad for CSM, try to got the SSG working first.
Keep up the good work!
I do not remember which version of FMDrive you have, but if it is not 1.23 I will send you the last update.

I have been pretty busy on my side lately because I was finishing my SUPER PSG VSTi, entirely dedicate to the PSG :) with a ton of features to make the most out of this simple chip!

Here is some infos >> http://alyjameslab.blogspot.fr/2013/12/ ... lease.html

Raijin

Post by Raijin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:31 pm

I've recently been thinking of things that would be beneficial for Hardware, if one were to export a track they made to be played by it of course.

What do you think of having a ROM dump option? It would eliminate the process of converting the VGM, which holds unreliable results, so having the software itself dump the ROM file would be much more reliable.

Also, with that said, I don't know how the DAC behaves in your VST, but if one were to use a single sample at multiple pitches, would the software read that as importing multiple samples, wasting space? Optimally, I am hopeful that it would read only one sample even if used at multiple pitches.

lu9

Post by lu9 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:40 pm

so, what happened again to this VST?
What's MIDI Automation gonna be like?
you mean like placing GENNY into the FL mixer, connecting GENNY instruments to MIDI channels and the MIDI will play with YM2612?

DigitalCanvas

Post by DigitalCanvas » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:39 pm

I am a composer and I am very interested in this VST plugin.

Is there any way i could get a hold of the Beta version of this vst?
I have the very early 0.9 but would love to have GENNY to play and beta test with.

Seeing as the creator doesn't come here anymore, would any of you happen to have the Beta version I could try out?

Hoping for something :)

foobat
Very interested

Post by foobat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:43 am

You should grab Aly's VST, it's pretty insane

superjoebob
Very interested

Post by superjoebob » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:52 pm

I apologize for not posting in a while, things are busy here and the VST has been put aside for a while so I can sort out some other things. Since it might be a while before I can find the time to put in some of the more fancy things I'd like it to have, I guess it would be cool to just give you guys the thing already:

Here's the VST version:
http://www.wonthelp.info/GENNY_beta_2.zip
And the FL version:
http://www.wonthelp.info/GENNY_betaFL_2.zip

Technically still beta, the more serious bugs have been worked out, but its not as feature complete as I'd like it to be. I'll update the main post with the beta links after GDC.

lu9

Post by lu9 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:08 am

You really should post this VST on Sonic Retro/SEGA Retro,
maybe it could help with their hacking projects.

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:03 pm

Seems there's some pitch bend issues on the current VST version, possibly related to pitch bend sensitivity as well. My brother tried both in FL Studio and only the FL version handled pitch bend correctly.

r57shell
Very interested

Post by r57shell » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:36 pm

Yes, pitchbend sensetivity is bugged :(
Also, as I mentioned somewhere (may be in private message): operators showed in wrong order.
It would be nice to know how volume and pitch bend is applied.
And, I don't understand how to import different instruments in one VSTi.
If I import first: it works.
When I import second: it replace both.
May be I'm talking about previous version.

lu9

Post by lu9 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:47 pm

r57shell wrote:Yes, pitchbend sensetivity is bugged :(
Also, as I mentioned somewhere (may be in private message): operators showed in wrong order.
It would be nice to know how volume and pitch bend is applied.
And, I don't understand how to import different instruments in one VSTi.
If I import first: it works.
When I import second: it replace both.
May be I'm talking about previous version.
Yes, I also have that bug, but I think it isn't a bug, it just replaces the instruments that have the same channel assigned, assign a different channel to each instrument and importing may work, at least it worked for me.

Anyways, this is awesome.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/e9k ... XBaSXt0bmg

There is a bug, though.
If you are unhappy with the results of the dumped VGM and try logging it again, your new VGM will have more time (i.e. I dumped a VGM that the original had 30 seconds, after redumping it had over 2 minutes)

lu9

Post by lu9 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:46 pm

Also, is the Beta supposed to look like the screenshot on the first post?
Because it looks like the previous beta...
EDIT: ValleyBell is very professional and knows alot about YM2612.
Maybe you 2 could team up to make this VST! \o/

superjoebob
Very interested

Post by superjoebob » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:28 pm

@r57 sorry about the pitch sensitivity, I mainly use the FL version which uses piano roll for pitchbend, so I haven't given much love to any other bend functionality :(. I want to add a special kind of instrument though, called a "Pitch Slider" which will work like FL's piano roll pitch bend. If you place a slider note, any adjacent notes on the same midi channel will bend up or down to that note. Also yeah, the instrument importing can be a bit fiddly right now!

@lu9 what do you mean it looks like the previous beta, like the pitch slider isn't there? That was an intentional change to better group together channel specific settings, and allow octave changing/transpose. Unless you mean I somehow posted an ancient version of my old VST O.o

Also I would love some help haha, but if anyone saw my codebase they would probably literally die. God it's bad, holy hell it is the greasiest codebase. That's the main reason why I haven't just finished the thing already. The actual sound generation/instrument bits aren't so bad, it's the UI. The UI is a disgusting wobbling mess and I'm amazed it doesn't just blow up. When I have some time I really want to rewrite it entirely using C# interop.

I still have grand visions in mind for the VST, it's by no means done. But my desire to work on it with the codebase the way it is right now might be gone. So until I have a chance to clean things up, it's gonna be stagnant. A few months probably, I'm not abandoning it. I still use it every day, and I have a lot of features in mind that would make it easier to deal with.

In the meantime, I'm working on Duck Game full time until May 6th. Here's a sample, I'm using GENNY for everything:

http://www.wonthelp.info/StarlightDuck.ogg
http://www.wonthelp.info/DontFuckWithDuck.ogg
http://www.wonthelp.info/BushDuck.ogg
http://www.wonthelp.info/SportsTime.ogg

lu9

Post by lu9 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:21 am

Cool Music!
Also, I made a Tutorial on how to Dump VGMs and Optimize them using GENNY and some tools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZebPga_jNc
Hope you like it :3