Mega Drive color encoding

For anything related to VDP (plane, color, sprite, tiles)

Moderators: BigEvilCorporation, Mask of Destiny

8bitwizard
Very interested

Post by 8bitwizard » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:44 am

TulioAdriano wrote:I've researched on PAL-M to NTSC converters and those have prices around $300. Considering that Ebay has offers of Genesis at $10 (buy-it-now) it might be a better option to buy a genesis and switch the circuit board (of course I don't want that giant Genesis logo).
Don't try to fight it, just get a Genesis.

There are only two compatibility issues, the cartridge shape, and the 2-bit region inputs. Cut the plastic of the Genesis lid if your Brasilian carts don't fit. Almost nothing used the region inputs to lock out games (I only know that Gaunlet 4 and the Sega CD BIOS care), so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Then set your Brasilian MD aside until you need it again for whatever reason.

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:14 am

I can name a few that does care for region.

Virtua Racing
Sonic 3
Mortal Kombat 3 (i think)

Oh, and to top it off, 32X's have a 1-bit region ID of their own, a "US/EURO" 60/50Hz type setting, VERY confusing, and I believe Doom and Knuckles Chaotix use this.

TulioAdriano
Very interested

Post by TulioAdriano » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:52 pm

8bitwizard wrote: There are only two compatibility issues, the cartridge shape, and the 2-bit region inputs. Cut the plastic of the Genesis lid if your Brasilian carts don't fit. Almost nothing used the region inputs to lock out games (I only know that Gaunlet 4 and the Sega CD BIOS care), so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Then set your Brasilian MD aside until you need it again for whatever reason.
The Brazilian MD is nothing more than a USA Genesis with the PAL-M output. So, considering that the screw holes on the main board are in the same positions I will not have any problem just switching the board.

All Brazilian cartridges are USA standard.