bottom dots

For anything related to VDP (plane, color, sprite, tiles)

Moderators: BigEvilCorporation, Mask of Destiny

evildragon
Very interested

bottom dots

Post by evildragon » Tue May 15, 2007 10:49 am

I have always wondered what these "dots" actually are, the ones at the bottom of the Genesis VDP display.

When I used composite, it looked like a single multi-colored flickering line. But when I got a Component adapter for the Genesis, I noticed they were actually "dots"..

But what are they? They seem to reflect the color palette. For example, at the Sega CD BIOS screen, those dots are cycling the rainbow color like the "SEGA CD" logo.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue May 15, 2007 11:39 am

Recently I've wondered the same thing, and I think that this happens when you DMA palettes.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Fonzie
Genny lover

Post by Fonzie » Tue May 15, 2007 11:44 am

Those dots are the representation of all the colors written in Color RAM during the INACTIVE display period.

I think that the megadrive vdp just send a group "dead background colors lines" to the tv during the whole inactive period in order to get sync for next period?
For exemple, my C code to refresh palette is quite slow, so there is big spaces between those dots... And if I refresh 3 palettes in a row, I get 3 lines of dots.

Btw, if the game is refreshing colors during the ACTIVE display period, you get exactly same kind of dots, but in top of the picture (raster effect).

LocalH
Very interested

Post by LocalH » Sun May 20, 2007 5:19 pm

I think it's basically a data bus collision - you're writing to the VDP RAM at the same time the VDP is trying to read from it, so the VDP essentially reads what you are writing instead of what's actually in the RAM itself.

Fonzie
Genny lover

Post by Fonzie » Sun May 20, 2007 6:24 pm

Yeah, color ram (and possibly scroll ram?).

The VRAM itself isn't affected by the collide (there is never glitching when writting to vram).
I wonder if later models like genesis3 or some GOAC have the same issues...

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Sun May 20, 2007 6:45 pm

Fonzie wrote:Yeah, color ram (and possibly scroll ram?).

The VRAM itself isn't affected by the collide (there is never glitching when writting to vram).
I wonder if later models like genesis3 or some GOAC have the same issues...
i think they all have the problem... even the Sega CDX has it..