Getting the WINDOW plane to work?

For anything related to VDP (plane, color, sprite, tiles)

Moderators: BigEvilCorporation, Mask of Destiny

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Getting the WINDOW plane to work?

Post by djcouchycouch » Sat May 05, 2012 12:39 am

Hi,

Is there anything I need to configure to use the WINDOW plane? I wanted to see how the WINDOW plane works but I'm not sure if it's even activated. I couldn't find anything obvious in the SGDK code.

I was attempting to just draw text with VDP_drawTextBG(WPLAN, ...) but nothing appeared on screen.

Thanks!
DJCC

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sat May 05, 2012 10:26 am

You got to first enable window thorugh VDP registers, there's 2 registers controlling the appearance of it. Window can grow out from any side of the screen, one register is for X and other for Y, and highest bit determines from which side it grows out form.
Where there is Windows there is no A. Granularity is tile based and if you got empty holes in the window there won't be anything but B shining through them
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sat May 05, 2012 11:13 am

TmEE co.(TM) wrote: Where there is Windows there is no A. Granularity is tile based and if you got empty holes in the window there won't be anything but B shining through them
I see. Then I don't think it'll be useful in my case. I was hoping to use it for a transparent UI overlay.

Thanks!

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sat May 05, 2012 2:30 pm

djcouchycouch wrote:
TmEE co.(TM) wrote: Where there is Windows there is no A. Granularity is tile based and if you got empty holes in the window there won't be anything but B shining through them
I see. Then I don't think it'll be useful in my case. I was hoping to use it for a transparent UI overlay.

Thanks!
You can use it this way, but don't see window as an extra plan but more as a fixed part of plan A...

letoulousain
Interested

Post by letoulousain » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:10 pm

djcouchycouch wrote:

Thanks!
But Ghouls'N Ghosts game is have a transparent UI overlay. And so rain (!) level one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkyxMQf0 ... el&list=UL

So i am interesting secret technique Window. Help us. :)

example plan A&B&sprites:
tilestravaux6_2.zip
http://www.mirari.fr/C5U9

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:40 pm

If you open up Ghouls'N Ghosts in an emulator, you should be able to see that the UI overlay is made up out of sprites. I'm doing the same thing for Goplanes.

I like the art style in your tilestravaux :)

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:52 pm

I spoke without actually checking! Not the first time.

I opened up Gens and took a look.The UI is actually the back layer with a priority set to be in front of the front layer.

When it rains, you can see the flicker between the rain and the background/ui.

letoulousain
Interested

Post by letoulousain » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:53 pm

djcouchycouch wrote:I spoke without actually checking! Not the first time.

I opened up Gens and took a look.The UI is actually the back layer with a priority set to be in front of the front layer.

When it rains, you can see the flicker between the rain and the background/ui.
I use Rengen v0.97D emulator
Tool/VDP Layer Select
Background A
Background B
Window
Sprites

If not Window then not HUD (up: texte, scrore, time... down: arm&life)
background/ui

Window/ui --> yes ! For rain it's very nice ! :) For your game Goplanes plane with rain (screenshots military ballon) same technique (sorry my english i'am french) :oops: