Home soldering

Hosted forum for UMDK related questions

Moderators: BigEvilCorporation, prophet36

TestSubject06
Interested

Re: Home soldering

Post by TestSubject06 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:13 pm

Before I left home the other day I did a fresh boot. lsusb before plugging in had stuff, after plugging it in there was a cypress USB development kit entry, so I think everything is fine.

TestSubject06
Interested

Post by TestSubject06 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:14 pm

prophet36 wrote:
TestSubject06 wrote:It would, if it didn't hang. I don't know why [lsusb] hangs. I hope nothing else hangs.
What do you see in /var/log/messages when you connect the LX9 board? What to you see when you subsequently disconnect it?
/var/log/messages doesn't exist on xububtu, or at least the version I have. It got moved into /var/log/syslog

TestSubject06
Interested

Post by TestSubject06 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:19 am

I got to the checksum test and things went horribly wrong. One of the pins on the FPGA started sizzling and the board got hot as hell. I can still see it enumerating and the voltages on the regulators were fine leading up to this, I retested them before each step.

I'll edit this in a second on my laptop with images
http://imgur.com/a/kciSf

The pin that snap crackled and popped looks unused, so I don't know what the hell is going on here.

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:07 am

It is power pin for FPGA:
So, I think you fried up your FPGA.

prophet36
Very interested

Post by prophet36 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:38 am

I can see in your photo some drag-soldering "icicles", so there are probably shorts between pins. What happened to the "needle & microscope" approach I suggested? I know it's boring, but so's having to start again!