UMDK - db manufacture

Hosted forum for UMDK related questions

Moderators: BigEvilCorporation, prophet36

db-electronics
Very interested

UMDK - db manufacture

Post by db-electronics » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi all,

I felt it was appropriate to begin a new and clean thread for this...

Just a small announcement on the topic of building UMDK. Yesterday we validated the FPGA board build and ran a number of successful tests on it including SDRAM, FLASH, etc... Oddly enough, I seem to have an issue with my bridge board which is currently preventing any tests from being performed on a Megadrive console.

More updates to come!
What does db stand for? Well that's an excellent question...
http://www.db-electronics.ca

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:21 am

Sorry to derail slightly, but I assembled a UMDK myself by hand last year using the original run of boards that was manufactured, but due to zero free time shelved it after I completed the hardware. Is there a document nowadays that will walk me through what to do about testing and validating the hardware, and getting it up and running for use? Also, can this be done from a Windows machine, or do I need to setup a Linux box for it? Last year I think it was Linux only for the setup.

db-electronics
Very interested

Post by db-electronics » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:51 am

Nemesis wrote:Sorry to derail slightly, but I assembled a UMDK myself by hand last year using the original run of boards that was manufactured, but due to zero free time shelved it after I completed the hardware. Is there a document nowadays that will walk me through what to do about testing and validating the hardware, and getting it up and running for use? Also, can this be done from a Windows machine, or do I need to setup a Linux box for it? Last year I think it was Linux only for the setup.
When I've worked out a functional and coherent test procedure with Prophet I will definitely post it and share it with everyone. It will be Linux based as this is how Prophet has designed the tools and unfortunately I'm not a software engineer. However, it would be worthwhile to try and run the tools from a VM, perhaps the USB bandwidth would be acceptable for test purposes?
What does db stand for? Well that's an excellent question...
http://www.db-electronics.ca

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:00 am

Cool, that'd be good. I'll just wait around until that kind of document exists, I don't have the time to muddle through without one at this stage. I'll probably have to crack out a "Linux for Dummies" guide to setup a VM for it too. :)

prophet36
Very interested

Post by prophet36 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:58 pm

Nemesis wrote:can this be done from a Windows machine...?
db-electronics wrote:it would be worthwhile to try and run the tools from a VM
Unfortunately it's not just an issue with bandwidth; there are weird connectivity problems with certain virtualization configurations. It's better to use the native Windows tools. I will make sure the testing procedure includes a Windows section.