UMDK on Windows

Hosted forum for UMDK related questions

Moderators: BigEvilCorporation, prophet36

prophet36
Very interested

UMDK on Windows

Post by prophet36 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:21 pm

I spent some time today getting my local UMDK Windows build working. It's basically functional, but the only front-end I've tried is Emacs, and I have not tried source-level (i.e .elf) debugging, I've only tried attaching to an already-running game:

It handles disassembly, examining memory and registers, stepping, breakpoints, continue and interrupt OK. That it gets this far is encouraging. I'll have a go at source-level debugging with EclipseIDE, unless someone has a favourite Windows gdb frontend they particularly want me to try instead.

- Chris

db-electronics
Very interested

Post by db-electronics » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:52 pm

I'm highly encouraged by this. As a hardware guy most of the tools I use are in the windows environment. Until I started on UMDK builds, I only maintained a Linux VM - now I have an old machine dedicated to Linux; but honestly, having everything within Windows is certainly more inviting to many people (myself included).
What does db stand for? Well that's an excellent question...
http://www.db-electronics.ca

prophet36
Very interested

Post by prophet36 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:22 pm

db-electronics wrote:having everything within Windows is certainly more inviting to many people (myself included).
I'm a firm believer in the idea that software vendors should not dictate OS choices to users. But this only proves that the UMDK functionality basically works - execution tracing, GDB connection, etc. I don't claim that this is a usable development environment yet. I still need somebody who really cares about Windows to try installing Eclipse CDT and a 68000 GDB and compiler toolchain, and making UMDK work with that.

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:34 pm

prophet36 wrote:
db-electronics wrote:having everything within Windows is certainly more inviting to many people (myself included).
I'm a firm believer in the idea that software vendors should not dictate OS choices to users. But this only proves that the UMDK functionality basically works - execution tracing, GDB connection, etc. I don't claim that this is a usable development environment yet. I still need somebody who really cares about Windows to try installing Eclipse CDT and a 68000 GDB and compiler toolchain, and making UMDK work with that.
I agree it would be good for the Windows users to have the tools ready for their OS.

It would require someone who understands Windows Application development well.
UMDK Fanboy

prophet36
Very interested

Post by prophet36 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:39 pm

MintyTheCat wrote:It would require someone who understands Windows Application development well.
So far as I'm aware there's no more programming work (or at least no more Windows-specific programming work) to be done. It's really just tooling configuration, and "getting started" docs that are missing.

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:42 pm

prophet36 wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:It would require someone who understands Windows Application development well.
So far as I'm aware there's no more programming work (or at least no more Windows-specific programming work) to be done. It's really just tooling configuration, and "getting started" docs that are missing.
Ok, as stated to have the UMDK Wiki on the UMDK Github repo would be a good idea.

Hosting tutorials and such we need to work out where to put them but we could use db.
UMDK Fanboy