plee
Very interested

Post by plee » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks for the update! :D

db-electronics
Very interested

Post by db-electronics » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:31 am

Hi all,

Just to clarify, yes I am coming up with a build and test procedure for UMDK. Currently one has been built but there were some delays with getting hardware to setup a Linux box (which I finally did this weekend).

I also want to re-assure everyone that we're not trying to get rich with UMDK manufacture - it will be offered for a very fair price.

More updates to come!
What does db stand for? Well that's an excellent question...
http://www.db-electronics.ca

plee
Very interested

Post by plee » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:15 am

db-electronics wrote:Hi all,

Just to clarify, yes I am coming up with a build and test procedure for UMDK. Currently one has been built but there were some delays with getting hardware to setup a Linux box (which I finally did this weekend).

I also want to re-assure everyone that we're not trying to get rich with UMDK manufacture - it will be offered for a very fair price.

More updates to come!
Any updates / progress?

db-electronics
Very interested

Post by db-electronics » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:17 pm

plee wrote:

More updates to come!
Any updates / progress?
Well I was away on vacation for two weekends so I haven't really done any work on UMDK since my last post. Things move at a snail's pace in my lab due to family, work, life, the universe and everything.

plee
Very interested

Post by plee » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:59 am

db-electronics wrote:
plee wrote:

More updates to come!
Any updates / progress?
Well I was away on vacation for two weekends so I haven't really done any work on UMDK since my last post. Things move at a snail's pace in my lab due to family, work, life, the universe and everything.
I hear you!

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Hello,

needing some MD dev hardware here *poke* *poke*

;)

db-electronics
Very interested

Post by db-electronics » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Oerg866 wrote:Hello,

;)
I guess not all of us have full-time jobs, kids to raise, snow to plow, houses to maintain, families to visit, etc...

I'm doing the best I can with the time I have. Conversely, the design files are available for anyone to build - I'm quite shocked no one else seems to be building these...

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:08 am

db-electronics wrote:
Oerg866 wrote:Hello,

;)
I guess not all of us have full-time jobs, kids to raise, snow to plow, houses to maintain, families to visit, etc...

I'm doing the best I can with the time I have. Conversely, the design files are available for anyone to build - I'm quite shocked no one else seems to be building these...
There are various issues with that... let me list them

* Two boards
* One of which is nedlessly huge and four-layer
* Lots of unnecessary components

^ This makes it very VERY expensive to produce, bulky and unpractical

* SMT inaccessible to mere mortals

^ Makes people dependant on people taking the initiative due to the need of assembly in factory

* Taking the initiative involves risks and paperwork and responsibility, also with regards to laws and such, conceiving in-factory testing methods and so on....

The UDMK is a really really good product for all MD dev enthusiasts... However the entire concept and how individual aspects of it play together make it very very hard to get done.

The initial "get it done for 40 bucks" target was immensely ambitious, one is lucky if he can get it done for twice that.

A USB development cartridge with 25€ worth of parts with two layers can easily be done in standard cartridge PCB size, which would make it easy to get an assembly quote from manufacturing plants (e.g. iteadstudio which have insanely great value for money) for *everyone*.

Cheers,
Eric

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:08 pm

Who has deleted my posts from yesterday?
UMDK Fanboy

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:46 pm

I have spent a lot of time since 2012 supporting UMDK and created this thread to get UMDK out to MD Developers.

I am sorry but I will not be censored by kaneda or any one else and I raised what I felt were pertinent points with regards to Oerg's insistence and overly pushy methods.

I hereby walk away from Sprites Mind and will only post UMDK related posts on db:

http://db-electronics.freeforums.net/

Thank you and I apologise for this.

You guys will still be able to buy UMDK and benefit from all the contacts I have made in getting this project underway.

I firmly believe in UMDK but I have to say I will not tolerate this cul-de-sac mentality from kaneda. I have a right to raise statements as I choose to.

Sprites Mind to my mind has become a place of little activity and no long-term goals and certainly little to no community oriented focus and as such has no place for me as some interested in developing software for the Megadrive.

Cheers,

Minty.
UMDK Fanboy

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:56 pm

I raised what I felt were pertinent points with regards to Oerg's insistence and overly pushy methods.
Um. Sorry, but all you did was accuse me of being a dick.

Sorry but if my post is enough for you to call me a dick out of nowhere and then try to play the victim card and incinerate a flame-war following the removal of that comment (and my good-natured reply fyi, but you don't see me jumping around like a madman), you're just not fit to use the internet.

Oh, by the way. "insistence" and more specifically because of its plural form "methods" would imply that there are other occasions of this happening?`

Minty, I previously thought of you as a nice and intelligent guy with extra sympathy bonus for living in my country. I guess that's changing :roll:
Last edited by Oerg866 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:01 pm

Oerg866 wrote:
I raised what I felt were pertinent points with regards to Oerg's insistence and overly pushy methods.
Um. Sorry, but all you did was accuse me of being a dick.

Sorry but if my post is enough for you to call me a dick out of nowhere and then try to play the victim card and incinerate a flame-war following the removal of that comment, you're just not fit to use the internet.
Looking back at your posts we have been polite with you and you have indeed been pushy.

I am more than fit to use the Inet.

We were polite and you put the pressure on and started to hassle us.

For your information one of us has had a very serious loss in our immediate family and this in turn has caused us delays.

You have no idea what us guys have done behind the scenes in getting this far, Oerg.

I saw you trying to worm your way out of this yesterday and hence the 'dick' label.

For the record, me, db and ChrisM agree you were acting like a dick.
Last edited by MintyTheCat on Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UMDK Fanboy

Oerg866
Very interested

Post by Oerg866 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Wow, what the fuck? I started HASSLING you?

Where the hell are you pulling this out from? Where have I been HASSLING you?

Can you show any proof of that because if that's true I sure have a definite case of alzheimer's.
Oh cool, my cat and my kitchen sink think I'm nice though.

What in god's name does that prove?

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:07 pm

There were indeed occassions, Oerg.

posting a comment whereby you simply yawn, poking, asking for an update when one was given a mere 8 days prior.

I will entertain you and others to a point but you push too much.

Listen: I am between ChrisM/Prophet36 who asks me on manufacturing progress, I have db who is carrying out the activity and I support him on this matter, I liase with both of them. Then there is the process whereby I contacted Hackspaces around to find people to manufacture UMDK.

As Sirmorris will attest me and him worked with two contacts prior to working with db.

I can tell you, Oerg, you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and pointless demands for updates or what not are not going to impress us.
Last edited by MintyTheCat on Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UMDK Fanboy

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:09 pm

Oerg866 wrote:Wow, what the fuck? I started HASSLING you?

Where the hell are you pulling this out from? Where have I been HASSLING you?

Can you show any proof of that because if that's true I sure have a definite case of alzheimer's.
Oh cool, my cat and my kitchen sink think I'm nice though.

What in god's name does that prove?
Check the dates and comments, Oerg and look back at your history.

You may not appreciate this but posting a single comment with a 'yawn' smiley followed by more inane comments for an update a mere 8 days after db's last update is going to rile people after a fashion.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:51 pm Post subject:
Oerg866 wrote:*yawn* :/
When you can get off your arse and do something instead of pester me and db I may have had more time for you.
Last edited by MintyTheCat on Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UMDK Fanboy