i wanna know how to convert bin to asm.

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

eurika1123

i wanna know how to convert bin to asm.

Post by eurika1123 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:50 pm

i heard about disassembler (68kd.exe or Ida)
but nobody said how to use it :(
there's someone help me to let me know?

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:09 pm

If you can't figure out how to use the tools (which has documentation), you'll be not able to do anything with the result of the decompilation.

eurika1123

i just want to get asm file..

Post by eurika1123 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 am

although i can't understand assembly now,

i try from now.

plee
Very interested

Post by plee » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:43 am

I would learn 68000 assembly code before attempting to disassemble a .bin file. If you know basic/c/etc... it will help learning 68000 assembly.

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:05 am

You can start from MC68000-Programmer-Manual. This doc for whole M68K family. So be carefull when you will read it. Some commands are not belong to 68000, and they a marked.

Munkyears
Very interested

Post by Munkyears » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:11 am

Yeah i suppose honesty is the best policy but people learn from other peoples code and sources. I understand what he's trying to do and yeah it would be a good idea to learn ASM deeply first, but why fault him for disassembling it? Its a lot quicker to take it in than just reading programming manuals that aren't exactly "Newbie - Friendly".

Eurika1123, using 68kd.exe, create a shortcut, right click, propeties, goto target box and you need to enter your output file, input file, and params if need be. Should be a txt file in the download that specifies an example of what needs passing through it.

something like "%path bla bla%." - "Put the correct param here" input.bin output.asm

Been a while since i used it.

Hope this helps
To be this good takes ages, To be this good takes Stef, Kanedafr, ChillyWilly & everyone who has helped me discover what hardwork is!

Dive into the SpritesMind! :)

eurika1123

:)

Post by eurika1123 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:41 pm

really thanks your for reply :)

andlabs
Very interested

Post by andlabs » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:49 am

The issue with disassembling is that even in its current state IDA isn't smart and, for example, wrongly sees palettes as offsets and turns them into labels, doesn't follow pc-relative jumps with index, etc. I've done a heckuva lot of disassembling with IDA (again, primarily to get the DAC samples out, though I've done/am doing full game analyses [people on Sonic Retro will know about that]) so what I can say is you will also need to have an understanding of not only how the Genesis works but also of the tools used by the older games (if that's what you're trying to disassemble), namely compression formats (Nemesis, Enigma, etc.) and sound drivers (SMPS, GEMS, Konami's various drivers, etc.). For someone just starting, it's going to be as overwhelming — if not more — than writing your own thing from scratch.

Gigasoft
Very interested

Post by Gigasoft » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:41 pm

I might make a quick plugin later to auto-detect jump tables used with sequences like:
move.l table(pc,dn.w),dn.w
jmp.l table(pc,dn.w)

It might save some time spent manually defining them.