Noob, nub, however you want to pronounce it

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:16 pm

I don't agree, style is does not matter, because Photoshop is simply not designed for PA from technical side. It lack important tools for this, having million of other nice things, which are useless for PA. Of course, if you already bought Photoshop, you can use it, but it is really not much better than Paint in this case.

Example by the link is digital painting, which is completely different technique, has nothing to do with PA. It is one of the things Photoshop suitable for, indeed.

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Geez, I'm back from the vacation and it was full of magical drama, no computers and dial-up internet :shock:

I have to get back to work on my picture, I should have it done soon. I am planning specific palette tricks to make the image colorful with only 16 colors :D Let's see how it works out :)

koilazka
Interested

Post by koilazka » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:10 pm

i used blender once to generate animated legs.
it made the animation process quicker. they sucked though so i went over them in paint.
guess GraphicsGale using stickmen would be alot faster for testing animations.

Jedite01, i thought the sliced orange looked well done, and the tip of the penguin beak.

FrozenDelight
Interested

Post by FrozenDelight » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Wow Jedite01, that was fast.

I may be stating the obvious, but the tutorials on that site that Jedite01 has made me aware of, Pixel Joint, has links to plenty of Pixel Art tutorials. I am currently having a look at them, some of which are links to tutorials which I remember looking at years ago. I didn't get into Pixel Art back then, but will give it another try now.

A quick question which is unimportant, is there a Mega Dirve "art" section on Sprites Mind? I guess not, I guess Pixel Joint would be the place. Funny to think though that the name includes the word 'sprites'. But I see this site is primarily for programming and MD hardware. Would be neat to have a forum page for Mega Drive specific art and animation though. Topics such as these could be moved there.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:59 pm

There is simply not too much specific in MD art - pretty much the same as for every other system: palette, number of colors per block, size of blocks, common dimensions of sprites etc, plus common TV specific (the same for all the consoles which works with TV). I.e. technical specifications, nothing more. No special drawing techniques only seen on MD, etc.

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:14 am

Yes, haha, I was literally thinking five minutes ago -- Shouldn't this post be in 'Bla Bla'...? Because it has ranged far off of MD programming :) Perhaps I should just restart this forum page in Bla Bla as my image is finished? :D

Oh, by the way -- I just happen to be making another gallery of some video game art I have been designing in low color resolution and depth. And one day I got bored so now I decided to use the SMS palette, a.k.a RGB-6-Bits. If I am not mistaken, the SMS can display 2 x 16 colors for 32 colors on screen simultaneously at once, right? I probably won't be needing that many colors (Then again I may, since the sprites and backgrounds require separate colors) But we'll have to see what happens. I am literally on my computer all day, so I'll be working on... Let's see, another portrait for my character galleries, the summer themed picture I have already planned out and the video game art featuring the SMS palette... And luckily summer school is over so I can stay up all night and work on them! 8)

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:12 am

And by the way, thanks, Koilazka. I'm constantly reworking my logo to look different and creative... Terrible Graphics N Fruit. Haha, mediocrity!

I should've really read all the posts better :/ I was out of it yesterday, so much stuff to do...

FrozenDelight
Interested

Post by FrozenDelight » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:00 pm

Haha, it's interesting to hear a 15 year old say " so much stuff to do". Also, you shouldn't spend all day and night in front of the PC, it will mess with your eyes. I had terrible eye strain as a games tester :shock:

:wink:
Shiru wrote:There is simply not too much specific in MD art - pretty much the same as for every other system: palette, number of colors per block, size of blocks, common dimensions of sprites etc, plus common TV specific (the same for all the consoles which works with TV). I.e. technical specifications, nothing more. No special drawing techniques only seen on MD, etc.
I meant sprite art that is in some ways connected to this site, such as sprites that could be used for peoples projects on this forum. But fair enough, I see what you mean.

Sorry, I'm joining this thread as another noob riding on the coat tale of Jedite01. Could I ask a question to you all? Actually it looks like Jedite01 could help me. I do not quite understand the colour limitations of the Mega Drive, so it is limited to 256 colours, right? So... which 256 colours are they? Even just a link to an explaination would be great, thanks.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:08 pm

Read this

In short: you have fixed 512 colors, which can't be changed, and you can select four sets of 15 colors from them (16th is transparent). One object, like a single sprite or tile of background, can use one of the four sets of the colors. Totally you can display up to 61 colors on screen without using tricks (15+15+15+15+1, last one is background color).

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Another way of saying it, the Sega Genesis does have 512 colors (A.k.a That RGB-9-Bit I keep saying) and 64 can be displayed simultaneously. (However with tricks such as Highlighting and Shadowing more simulated colors can be produced.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _chart.png

This is the palette of the Sega MD's VDP. As far as I know. (All you have to do is open it in paint, and violin, you have the Sega Genesis palette. I can give you a descriptive way of transferring colors over to your picture)

I don't know if it is the exact palette, so if it isn't, some professional (A.k.a Shiru) can tell me and perhaps show me where I can get an official palette sheet, image, blah. Who knows? Maybe there isn't an official palette sheet-thing, but I have a way of getting the exact colors :D Ooh, secrets... >.>

By the way, on the topic of randomness, I had something I wanted to ask Shiru... But I don't feel like asking it now. :shock:

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:31 pm

(Yes, I know, Shiru sent you a palette. Maybe those palettes are more professional, I just have a hard time... Reading them, or whatever. In other words, I stick with the lowly noob palette :) )

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:44 pm

The palette is simply R3G3B3, nothing fancy like on C64 or MSX. You can generate it with simplest program or by hand, if you have a lot of patience.

However, you should remember that the SMD is connected to TV, so color encoding systems introduce some color distortions and artifacts, and different TV sets have different color tunings etc. Thus actual palette you see on TV can vary, and there is no correct one, so you should consider R3G3B3 palette without distortions as the correct one.

FrozenDelight
Interested

Post by FrozenDelight » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks guys! Wow you lot are online at unusual times, or perhaps it is just the time difference between there and England.

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:00 pm

I'm in the USA, and it seems that you reply at rather normal times (I think we just happen to be in a relatively similar time zone) It's weird how forums just happen to connect people from different nations to one place, and that's what screw up the times :)

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:21 am

This is forum, so it's OK. Need in realtime discussing? Go to chatroom.