Noob, nub, however you want to pronounce it

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Jedite01
Interested

Noob, nub, however you want to pronounce it

Post by Jedite01 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:14 am

Hi, I am Jedite01. (Aka newest guy here, and that's appropriate) :?

I am here for various reasons, but instead of sounding professional and boring I will just say; I would *like* to produce Sega Genesis/Megadrive games, and I put 'like' in little asterisks (Or asterixs, whatever) b/c I have no previous training with Sega Genesis/Megadrive coding, whatsoever...

However I do have experience in one field, and that is Graphical Art. I have been a graphical artist (or trying to be) for awhile, and I know several techniques that I use to produce Genesis graphics... And I am used to drawing with few colors. 16 colors in a palette out of 4 is enough.

What I do know:
The Sega Genesis/Megadrive is a 16-bit console, capable of some things the SNES isn't (Sound synthesis?). Art is tiled in 8 x 8 tiles (I think) and are allocated 16 colors. There are 4 palettes of 16 different colors, making 64 colors out of 512 (Aka RGB 9-bit) The FM chip (I forget the technical name) has 7 channels (Or was it six :shock: ), one of which can play mono PCM samples... And that's close to the end of it.

To rephrase this whole paragraph(s), I would like to learn how to program Sega Genesis/Megadrive games and learn how to program certian VDP features, such as a ray-casting engine or even a simple polygon engine. (I think the Megadrive is capable of polygons. I have read threads where people talked about it, and I think Ranger X uses one?) So can any one help me out?

koilazka
Interested

Post by koilazka » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:10 am

cool.. what programming languages do you know, or are willing to learn?

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:36 am

Hi,
welcome here.

You have several ways, from easiest to hardest :
- BasiEgaXorz from Devster
- C language using GenDevKit
- ASM language using one of 68k available assemblers

Else, since you're a gfx artist, you could produce sprites and bg for some people here (including myself) since it's rare to find someone who knows how to deal with 16c AND who likes Megadrive ;)

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:53 am

Well, to start, you'd better to learn SMD capabilites very well, without 'I think', '6 or 7', etc.

If your experience with programming (any system) is zero, you have to forget about raycasting and polygons for long, long time. These things is that SMD is not designed for and has not enough power, so to implement them you have to be very skilled programmer (assembly is the only option) and make masterpiece code. In this case start from simple things.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:52 am

Small steps first.

First get some GFX show on the screen, then perhaps try to scroll it, then have sprites appear, then read controllers and move the sprites... ^^
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi all, sorry to get back late, have summer school :'( UGH

And maybe I 'jumped the gun,' lol.

I guess I should stick with my place, as a graphics artist, and I've been trying to get myself to join a group designing a Sega MD game...

I'm only 15, I'm probably not gonna get programming for... awhile.

But I'm decent as a graphics artist, I tell you! Don't let my age hinder my skills, b/c of the following...

*I develop raster art in an awful but unbelievably simple art tool called PAINT (lol)
*I can use a variety of techniques to simulate colors (IF I HAVE TO... o.0)
*I adapt to different art styles and I have the ability to copy and modify someone else's art (Not saying you should do that)

Paint really isn't bad for Sega art. If anyone wants to know, I can post my method of how to use paint with Sega MD art and palettes.

Anyway, I guess I can just be a graphics artist. I love how I just change my mind in no more than five minutes :o

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:53 pm

If you artist, why you show words, not your art?

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:55 pm

lol, I can't just draw something in five minutes, I have to develop and think it out. Other words; A day. What do you want me to draw? :)

Btw- How do you go about sharing art on these forums?

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:08 pm

You know, one could only became the artist after a lot of practice, which means a lot of art made. So if you artist, you surely already have your previous works to show.

Pixel art could be shown through PixelJoint, for example. You also could simply upload archive with files to one of many file sharing services.

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:10 pm

Okay, I'll compile a digital portfolio and show it to you guys sometime today (Later tonight)...

And do I notice a sense of doubt? :(

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:28 pm

There are some doubts, because you have said you is decent artist, but not showed anything, and I've met few people who did the same, by certain reasons. I believe that your case could be different, and you easily could prove it. Luckily, in case with the graphics it is very simple.

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:43 pm

I'll proove it, and if you're wondering why I wouldn't show my art right at this second, it's just because I'm a perfectionist, and my previous work can lack... Form, and sometimes figure. But I'll give you my best work by tonight.

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Well, I've looked through my previous artwork and noticed I don't have much. I have never been professionally trained, but that's going to change soon, so I should get better. I guess I really work on things that are pre-described, and perhaps have concept art. I tried drawing some new things but it is too difficult for me to be able to draw something I have no description for.

But how about this; I'm still trying to design a game with my friend, and I have ideas of what to draw for it. It may take a day or two but I will spend most of my free time to draw one simple figure... In the MD resolution of 320 x 240 at 64 colors on screen. And for other purposes I will show the palette I have used from the 9-bit RGB.

So bid me pardon as I have failed to reach tonight's proposition. I will work hard to create that one figure, and I will upload it and send the link to the forums. By the way, if any other graphical artists had some tips, that would be great :)

koilazka
Interested

Post by koilazka » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:54 pm

dude you got all the time.. just have fun.

so you know, we are not one big team, people here are very sub divided. some people mabey after 2d art for demos or games, others mabey working on hardware or something else.

anyway.. i love making md art in paint.
do you know about the remove_colour_with_rubber trick on paint? :D

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:18 pm

Oh, sorry, I use MS Paint for WinXP. The versions of paint seem to be upgraded with every new OS, aka Vista, then 7.

UGH I hate the ribbon interface on 7. I'm sorry, it may be useful, I just don't get it. lol

...Unless you're talking about MS Paint on WinXP. If you are, could you explain that trick?