Megadrive handheld, H&B, FusionCore...

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Megadrive handheld, H&B, FusionCore...

Post by KanedaFr » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:28 am

Hi,

it seems there were a lot of release of megadrive clones while I was...elsewhere
from what I read, it's mainly emulation based...and so, sound is ugly...
which clone is the closest to the original genny ? and work with original cart ?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:30 pm

Most all of the "new" clones are all "Firecore" based... the same old ARM-based SoC with emulation, but can run "native" games off SD card with a special cart called the Passport. Most take regular SEGA carts, but the Gopher doesn't, going for a slim case and having the SD interface built-in instead of as an option.

Of the handhelds, the two that use actual carts are the RetroGen and the GenMobile. The RetroGen has a cheaper case, and no built-in Genesis games (it does have 20 built-in "native" games that all suck). It also has a bigger LCD display. Some people don't like the "disc"-style dpad, but I don't mind it.

The GenMobile has a fancier case and looks nicer, but uses a smaller LCD display - small enough that it's hard to read the text in some games. The dpad looks more traditional, but is split in two pieces, which some people claims makes it harder to do two of the diagonals (the ones across the split). It has 20 built-in Genesis games, as well.

The display is good on both, but the RetroGen is better with its larger LCD. The sound is okay, but the pitch is rather low on music. Both have the ability to do TV out and come with an AV cable. The RetroGen is recharged via USB cable, and comes with one. The GenMobile also uses a USB connector to recharge, but comes with an AC adapter with a USB port connector.

Both carts seem to be based on the same hardware, performing identically in emulation. The speed can lag a smidgen in some games, they have identical graphical glitches, and the same bad audio. The only flash cart to work on these is the MD-Pro. The MegaCart and Everdrive-MD aren't even recognized, and the Neo Myth fails unless you plug a 5V battery pack through its USB port to power the Neo Myth separate from the handheld.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:20 pm

wow! thanks Chilly Willy!
Great informations!
does the retrogen is similar to the PocketMD I own?

I personnaly saw today an H&B megadrive on a french supermarket for 30€
It was very strange to see this "megadrive" metal logo on a 'new' console :)

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:26 am

Also we have Megadrive Portable, wich has small size cartrige. In fact, MDP cartrige can be connected to Megadrive/Genesis and vise versa via simple adapter. Standard Megadrive/Genesis cartrige and MDP cartrige differs only by size and pinout. It's has website (in russian, sorry). Does MDP use an emulation or not, I don't know, but on some models we can see Altera FPAG's and JTag interface. It's seems like a hardware emulation. OK, some pics now:
ImageImageImageImage

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:36 am

I think the GenMobile is more similar to the PocketMD... look at these images to see for yourself.

RetroGen playing one of the better native games built in: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/FCKEditorF ... ro_Gen.jpg

GenMobile playing Sonic: http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/up ... rtable.jpg

I have both, so if you want to ask something specific, I can probably give you an answer... other than when they plan to release the Passport in the US. :) Currently, the Passport is available only in Germany and Brazil (I think).

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:40 am

I have some clones here, PocketMD being one and Hamy Digital Genius with 19 games inside. Both use a TecToy TCT-6703 ASIC so in theory it should be compatible with anything, but the machiens only supply 3 or 4V to the carts and flashcarts tend to want a bit more than that.... my barebones flashcart with nothing but 2x flash chips inside won't run because the chips seem stop working at below 4.5V...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:36 am

In fact, I was looking for a way to test game "right from my PC"
I can't install all my stuff on the TV room, asking my wife to stop watching TV while I test my 'ugly' game :(

I wonder if my SMD will work a PocketMD....need to make an adapter to test...

Got another idea...let's go for another thread.. ;)

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:28 am

Why not to buy a TV tuner then? In this case you will have console close to your PC and will see it's output in a window on the same screen. Yes, it has worse quality than actual TV, but it is comfortable (you can even record a video or take a picture), and the quality is high enough for testing.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:00 am

...it's why I love this place!! :)
thanks for the idea shiru!

now, I need to find a way to use my SMD since i don't have LPT nor FDD ;)

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:26 am

now, I need to find a way to use my SMD since i don't have LPT nor FDD
The Everdrive should fit your needs (as long as you're using an original Megadrive or a clone that can supply adequate voltage). It uses SD cards and costs $65 including shipping.

GManiac
Very interested

Post by GManiac » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:27 am

KRIKzz made MD link via USB and joystick port. It has inbuilt USB-COM adapter, so you use it as COM port. I made many tests with this thing.
I've got maximum transfer speed of 81 KB/s.
He also told me about improvements of this idea.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:28 am

Ok, I'm in.

Let's go for an everdrive and an EasyCap :)

Faster and easier than any hack and crash :)

plee
Very interested

Post by plee » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:52 am

Chilly Willy wrote: Of the handhelds, the two that use actual carts are the RetroGen and the GenMobile. The RetroGen has a cheaper case, and no built-in Genesis games (it does have 20 built-in "native" games that all suck). It also has a bigger LCD display. Some people don't like the "disc"-style dpad, but I don't mind it.
I agree on the built in games, I think all of us could have written something better with our eyes closed :wink:

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:11 am

KanedaFr wrote:Ok, I'm in.

Let's go for an everdrive and an EasyCap :)

Faster and easier than any hack and crash :)
Did you notice - the new v8 OS for the Everdrive now allows homebrew from the SD card that can take control of the hardware (meaning you can use the SD card inside the homebrew).

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:29 am

using SEGA EVERDRIVE header ?
yeah, I saw ;)
I can't wait to use SPI pin
I'm also waiting for the updated doc from Krizkzz