IF everyone here Pooled ...

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Alex Khan
Very interested

IF everyone here Pooled ...

Post by Alex Khan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:19 am

I had to say ...

They're are some pretty smart dudes on this forum.

IF everyone here Pooled their talents we'd have some pretty sweet SEGA Games Man. :(

Some pretty SWEET SEGA Games Indeed ...

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Not everyone wants to write games - or not the same kind of games as the next person.
I can only speak for myself, but programming is my daytime job, so when I program something in my spare time I prefer to work on exactly *what* I want, *when* I want. Doing a big organized team effort in my spare time would probably feel too controlled for me.

Huge
Very interested

Post by Huge » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:39 pm

If the people here made a game, it would be something like the Zyrinx titles. Nice coding, interesting concepts, awesome as a technical demo, but playability is relative to zero.

MottZilla
Interested

Post by MottZilla » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:50 pm

It's very hard to just "pool" talents and skills together for a common purpose. The best thing to do is to help people out when they ask about something. Sharing knowledge helps alot. But it will still in the end be up to the project leader to get a game complete. Most projects you see on the internet that succeed are developed by one or two people. Big team efforts usually get no where or fall apart before completing. It's just the nature of non-profit hobby type work when things get really big and rely on many people doing their parts.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Hundred of talented programmers can't replace single talented artist. Making pretty sweet games is mostly all about making design, graphics, music, levels, etc. Code is relatively small part of whole game, and even if it very complex, it is also very difficult to share the work between many programmers. If you'll check staffs of some good 16-bit games, you find that only very few people of whole staff are programmers, and often every programmer works on separate subsystem of the game.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm already in the middle of making few MD games, and only thing I will need help with at some point is graphics and music, and possibly sound effects and maybe stages.... but its too early to tell more.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

tomaitheous
Very interested

Post by tomaitheous » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:20 am

I agree with MottZilla and MottZilla. Huge, that it soo true :D

Many of us can pulls tricks out of our ass for all kinds of effects, but try to get us to design something on the level of professional top tier games, and it's not going to happen. Gameplay and overall design is really hard to work out. It may not seem like it, but play any homebrew title and you'll know exactly what I mean. It's tough. Been spending A LOT of my time doing lots of research on gameplay mechanics and such. What makes a good game, good. There are lots of little things that are easy to miss, but accumulated - make up a large important part of the gaming experience.

eteream
Very interested

Post by eteream » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:00 am

As other said making a game is something more than be a good programmer. In any case, what we need most are graphic and audio artists, but who can work with what the Genny can do: FM sound and tiny graphics.

That's my work so far (bin & code):

http://cid-60b939ad111c4746.skydrive.li ... ic?lc=1033

Yes, it's only the beginning.... If you think you can help or you have a better idea I'm all ears.

Alex Khan
Very interested

Post by Alex Khan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:22 am

OKAY OKAY ....

Some Positive Feedback Here from you Guys !

You Guys I have Two Artists and One Sound Engineer !

The creative people I have!

I need programmer ... Game programmers !

Lets work on a concept !

Concept Game , Art and Theme !

What do you guys think ???

Eteream I will check out your link.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:18 am

Alex Khan wrote:Lets work on a concept !
Don't expect that someone suddenly will give you complete concept of your game from scratch. Start by youself, and when you'll have at least something, it could be discussed here.

The way work should be done is: concept (not just an idea, but detailed description of the game), art, programming.

eteream
Very interested

Post by eteream » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Alex, what about a level designer who do all this work?

No seriously, in every aspect of this life, if you want to lead a project you have to put yourself first; with that work as a proof, convince other people.

Alex Khan
Very interested

Post by Alex Khan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm

Hmmm ... you're right guys I think a Sega One Level Demo I should make.