Regarding Flight

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Alex Khan
Very interested

Regarding Flight

Post by Alex Khan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:36 am

:D

I had a memory question regarding memory ;)

I have been through the sega programming faq and the memory maps and rom memory etc such as Sonic vs Ecco the Dolphin.

What i would like to know is.

-How much ROM is reserved for sprites versus backgrounds versus sound versus music, and so forth?

Generally for most games.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:55 am

I just build things until I reached cart limit, and hope the limit comes after all the planned content is present...

I have like 1Mbyte for sound and music and the rest is divided up for code, GFX and other data.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:44 am

This is really depends from the game. Usually, the graphics took most of memory (thus is compressed sometimes). Levels data could take much memory too. Digitized samples also use much memory, but that's rare for SMD game to have many samples. Music data usually very compact compared to other resources.

LocalH
Very interested

Post by LocalH » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:13 pm

ROM is not reserved at all, you can use any ROM data to feed any I/O chip. VRAM is partially reserved - while tile data can go pretty much anywhere, you have to assign certain ranges of VRAM to the nametables, sprite tables, and horizontal scroll RAM. Those ranges are not hardcoded, however, and you do have some flexibility as to where they go.

If you use the Z80 exclusively for sound, then Z80 RAM will be dedicated to that purpose (although it can still read from ROM).

Alex Khan
Very interested

Post by Alex Khan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:45 pm

interesting info thank you gentleman