Neo Myth Menu beta

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:20 am

Real hardware is the console. Flash cart or mask ROM, it does not matter.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:Most programmers start with testing in an emu, then move to testing on real hardware after it seems okay on the emu. The most common error programmers do that slips by the emu is putting code or data on odd boundaries. With an emu, that usually works fine. With real hardware, it always generates an odd address exception.
that's common assembly problems, C at least permit to avoid them ;)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:16 pm

A flash cart is something you use to test on real hardware. A flash cart is a rom cart that can be written to. The regular rom carts you buy for a game cannot be written to. You write the code you want to run onto the flash cart, stick the flash cart into the real hardware, then run it.

Alex Khan
Very interested

Post by Alex Khan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Okay I understand ... is that how the Chinese handheld SMD Blaze works ?

Is Neo Myth for Blaze?

I was checking around the net and I saw the GPX32 or something like that a Mame handheld emulator.

Does it use Flash cart as well?
I need a Black Belt in Game Programming!

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:18 pm

Alex Khan wrote:Okay I understand ... is that how the Chinese handheld SMD Blaze works ?

Is Neo Myth for Blaze?

I was checking around the net and I saw the GPX32 or something like that a Mame handheld emulator.

Does it use Flash cart as well?
The Blaze is an emulated Genesis, not a real one. I don't think the Neo Myth works with the console Blaze (the one with the cart port). The handheld Blaze only takes SD cards which have the rom image for the MD games you wish to play.

The GP2X is a handheld that runs linux, so all the emulators for linux are available for it. There are MD emulators, NES emulators, and many others. The emulators look for the rom images on SD card plugged into the GP2X. A PSP with custom firmware is very similar, running a number of emulators (like PicoDrive) which look for rom images on the Sony MemStick. If you can get a good deal on a GP2X or a PSP with custom firmware, those will do a better job of emulating the Genesis than the current bunch of emulated systems like the Blaze or RetroGen or GenMobile.

Flash carts are for REAL SEGA hardware, like the Genesis model 1/2/3, Nomad, or the CDX.

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:06 am

If you want to do tests on real hardware then buy yourself a Genesis/Megadrive. They're pretty cheap on ebay, and maybe you can get them even cheaper from some domestic website (just make sure that you're not buying a clone).

Then get a flash cart. Here you have a number of options, depending on the features you need/want:

Everdrive
NEO Myth MD
Megacart
TotoTek MD Pro

I'd recommend either the Myth MD or the Everdrive, since the other two carts require a parallel port which most modern computers don't have. The Everdrive is much cheaper, while the Myth MD also has SMS compability including YM2413 support, plus some extra features like extra onboard RAM.

Alex Khan
Very interested

Post by Alex Khan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:39 pm

>>If you can get a good deal on a GP2X or a PSP with custom firmware, those will do a better job of emulating the Genesis than the current bunch of emulated systems like the Blaze or RetroGen or GenMobile.

>>Flash carts are for REAL SEGA hardware, like the Genesis model 1/2/3, Nomad, or the CDX.

'I would like to get my paws on a GP2X but the Blaze is cheap so tempting! :)

'Flash Carts for real hardware that's the boundary line between them and handhelds emulating Genesis. [Understood]

>>Then get a flash cart. Here you have a number of options, depending on the features you need/want:

Everdrive
NEO Myth MD
Megacart
TotoTek MD Pro

'Sweet thanks for enlightening me.
I need a Black Belt in Game Programming!