Game Maker/MMF type program for game making?

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

SteveMartin
Interested

Game Maker/MMF type program for game making?

Post by SteveMartin » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:01 am

I seriously doubt it's possible, but would a game maker environment like Multimedia Fusion or Game Maker ever be something doable for Genesis programming?

That's about the extent of the question... :) I know it probably sounds naive, but it's an interesting idea that I don't think any game systems have, save for the DS which I believe has a similar product to what I'm talking about. If such a thing ever could exist...well, game development would get a huge boost no doubt.

matteus
Very interested

Post by matteus » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:33 am

Personally I think it would just create a market of poorly put together RPGS all generically the same....

haroldoop
Very interested

Post by haroldoop » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:30 pm

Well, it's... doable. I've tried it thrice, with pretty weak results:
http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=77561
Of course, that's just because I didn't put enough effort on them.

SteveMartin
Interested

Post by SteveMartin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:01 am

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I gave it a try and tested the test rom and am actually impressed to see something! :p I hope you continue working on it, shows a lot of potential. I like how the rom can compile just like that too. I'm not used to that commodity with Genesis programming :lol:

Munkyears
Very interested

Post by Munkyears » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:54 am

So is it just compiling from pre-made templates? and are they able to be manipulated?
To be this good takes ages, To be this good takes Stef, Kanedafr, ChillyWilly & everyone who has helped me discover what hardwork is!

Dive into the SpritesMind! :)

haroldoop
Very interested

Post by haroldoop » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:04 pm

Well, for GINCS and Genesis RPG Creator, I created a base "stub" ROM that contains the actual code, and when the game is compiled, its scripts and graphics are appended to the end of the base ROM.

On the other hand, for S.A.M., I simply made some small tool that generates some ASM includes from the game's sources, and then assembles them together with the library routines, in order to generate the ROM.

Of course, in both cases, you can implement new features by changing and recompiling the base ROM, in the first two cases, and by editing the libraries, in the third case.