I know it's a long shot but...

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

1magus
Interested

I know it's a long shot but...

Post by 1magus » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:40 am

I gotta ask, I just started using GAME MAKER V7 and I'm actually making progress! I have moving animated sprites and I can actually make 2D Games in diff Genres it seems so exciting but I wanted to know:

Is it possible to port Game Maker V7 games to run on Genesis and/ or Sega CD/ 32X Hardware??

Or do I need to just learn binary if I really wanna make games for it?

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:24 am

You can't directly port ('recompile') gamemaker project, you'll need to redo all from scratch - from code and resources (gfx, music, sound) to design. To do that you'll need to learn low-level programming, SMD hardware, C or assembly or Basic language.

tails92
Interested

Post by tails92 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:38 pm

Wow, this is one of the most far fetched questions I've seen in a while.
No, it isn't possible at all. Game Maker games requires 100 times the RAM of the Genesis (because Game Maker loads everything on startup), and I think it requires at least 20-30 times the CPU power of the genesis as it needs to interpret its scripts.
Yes, you can manage to convert Game Maker to C manually, but you'll have to write the engine yourself from scratch, there's no way you can use the engine from Game Maker.
And Game maker is compiled for an entirely different CPU than the Genesis.

If you don't want to use C at all (you'd better do, but it's not easy at first), try BasiEgaXorz.

It's a basic made for Genesis/MD development that translates directly to assembler and then to machine code.

1magus
Interested

Post by 1magus » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:46 pm

tails92 wrote:Wow, this is one of the most far fetched questions I've seen in a while.
No, it isn't possible at all. Game Maker games requires 100 times the RAM of the Genesis (because Game Maker loads everything on startup), and I think it requires at least 20-30 times the CPU power of the genesis as it needs to interpret its scripts.
Yes, you can manage to convert Game Maker to C manually, but you'll have to write the engine yourself from scratch, there's no way you can use the engine from Game Maker.
And Game maker is compiled for an entirely different CPU than the Genesis.

If you don't want to use C at all (you'd better do, but it's not easy at first), try BasiEgaXorz.

It's a basic made for Genesis/MD development that translates directly to assembler and then to machine code.
Thank You I will try that out