Question topic

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri May 02, 2008 7:59 am

Sik wrote:In theory, all games work even with the MCD and the 32x attached. However, if a specific game doesn't work with them, don't get surprised, that's what I mean. I think the main reason all games (except VR) work with the 32x is because they don't have any oddities. If the MD was like the SNES and almost all games had custom hardware, definitely they wouldn't work with the 32x, because it takes control over most of the special pins.
True. I never got the Genesis version of VR as I had the 32X version. I could see that one not working with the 32X.

Fonzie
Genny lover

Post by Fonzie » Fri May 02, 2008 9:42 am

I noticed very odd things with the 32x...
Sometimes some MegaDrive games did not work with 32x attached (and some 32x games too). Other games worked very fine.

It was just because of the two internal 32x ribbons that were a bit disconnected... You plug/unplug them and all games work again...
It is very surprising a bad connection could affect only few specific game but it is true, maybe only one pin disconnected (floating) makes the 32x generating extremely bad timings.

It is a shame because those ribbons seems to inevitably disconnect after a while (at least with my 32x).

Honestly, with a such critical design, I fear everybody will have to remove forever their 32x because it really weaken everything you plug on top.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri May 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Maybe it varies by who actually made the 32X adapter. I bought mine the moment they came out and it's still going strong without a hint of trouble. True, I don't play it nearly as often as I did back in '95, but it's still going on 13 years old. The only issue I've had with my system is that I sometimes have to make sure the CD is plugged in fully. It seems to work itself loose every few months or so, and then the system won't start up. I just press the Genny and CD together firmly and it's fine again for another few months. I've never had to do anything with my 32X. Maybe I'm just lucky in that respect, but I'll take it. :D