Mega Drive Research and Development Center

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Sik
Very interested

Mega Drive Research and Development Center

Post by Sik » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:33 pm

http://srb2town.sepwich.com/mdrdc

Yes, this is another try to unify the MD development community. If you want this to work, please spread the word everywhere you can. If people doesn't know about this place then it'll be just another pathetic attempt.

I've just uploaded very few stuff, and the examples there aren't enough to be able to make a game :( OK, I'll add more examples, but help would be appreciated too.

Just tell me what do you think of the small piece of work you see.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:07 am

Not a bad start. I would add these to the tools:

68K BASIC: BasiEgaXorz - http://devster.monkeeh.com/sega/basiegaxorz/
68K and Z80 assembly: asmx - http://xi6.com/projects/asmx/
68K C/C++: uclinux gcc 4.1.1 - http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/m68k ... -20061214/
SH2 C/C++: KPIT GNU Tools - http://www.kpitgnutools.com/ (requires free registration)

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:28 am

Nice yes... add a forum and its great. I'll be helping with ASM stuff whenever its possible, also I have been writing some MD programming manual (covering all I know in dumbass friendly fashion)...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:30 pm

no need for a forum, just point on spritemind :)

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:30 pm

So there was Basiegaxorz. I forgotten where the page was :P Now I can make examples for it too... through a lot of the examples in the page are already built-in instructions. I guess that most of the Basiegaxorz examples (at first at least) will have to do with handling the FM channels, ability it lacks. Any idea about the limit for a Basiegaxorz program? Because last time I tried there was a limit on the size of source code the IDE could handle, after that it crashed. Through it was back when it used SNASM68K, just to give you an idea...

Is ASMX MRI compatible? If you don't know, it means it uses the same syntax such as SNASM68K or ASM68K. A good example of non-MRI compatible assembler is GAS by default, through you can get it into MRI compatibility mode with the -M/--mri switch.

About the GNU tools, I think I better put a link to them... They take up just too much space. I don't have any space limits in Sepwich, but anyways... And after all, by the URLs I guess they're from the official sources, right? ;)

And about the forum, no idea what to do :P If I knew PHP and how to use SQL with it, I would most likely make my own engine (also making it easier for me to customize it). Just to try it :) I'm customed to other forums and I guess it would be easy to use an already existant engine like everybody does, but anyways... I guess SpriteMind can do meanwhile.

EDIT: through it'll appear on the page just on the next update, I already have an e-mail address for it, so feel free to send any useful stuff there :)

megadrive [dot] rdc [at] gmail [dot] com

I wanted it to be mdrdc but GMail addresses must be at least six characters long >_>
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:43 pm

Sik wrote:And about the forum, no idea what to do :P If I knew PHP and how to use SQL with it, I would most likely make my own engine
You have too much spare time?

I think, creating any new forum will be a bad idea. There is already three or even more forums with mostly same people - this one, BEX, Tavern. It have much more sense to join all forums together than creating one more.

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:49 pm

Shiru wrote:
Sik wrote:And about the forum, no idea what to do :P If I knew PHP and how to use SQL with it, I would most likely make my own engine
You have too much spare time?
Yeah, a lot, trust me ;)
Shiru wrote:I think, creating any new forum will be a bad idea. There is already three or even more forums with mostly same people - this one, BEX, Tavern. It have much more sense to join all forums together than creating one more.
Yes, through again, making a new page like I've just done has the same issue: why create another page and don't just reuse an already existant one? I wonder if you see the point.

And anyways I'm not sure if yet reserve the SQL database for something else. I can only use it for a single forum, maybe except if it's my own engine and it's designed with "shareability" in mind (I've just made a new word, horray!).

EDIT: before I forget (again), for the next update I'll upload some Mega CD docs (which I didn't upload before because they take looooong to upload). Later I'll go with some 32x ones. So stay tuned :)

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Sik wrote:Yes, through again, making a new page like I've just done has the same issue: why create another page and don't just reuse an already existant one? I wonder if you see the point.
You need to create another page because you can't reuse already existant one - owner don't want to give away access, don't have time to update it by himself, or just forgot his password, or don't want to pay for hosting, etc. You don't need to create another forum to allow people communicate, because they already have places to communicate (even too much). Also, 'life' of site is supported by owner, but 'life' of forum is supported by community. This is a difference, I think.

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:07 pm

Yeah, good point. Through as always, it would make more sense for the site to have its own forum rather than using the forum of another page if it's meant to be such a huge thing as it tries to be.

By the way, I'm not going to add a forum right now.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:47 am

Sik wrote:So there was Basiegaxorz. I forgotten where the page was :P Now I can make examples for it too... through a lot of the examples in the page are already built-in instructions. I guess that most of the Basiegaxorz examples (at first at least) will have to do with handling the FM channels, ability it lacks. Any idea about the limit for a Basiegaxorz program? Because last time I tried there was a limit on the size of source code the IDE could handle, after that it crashed. Through it was back when it used SNASM68K, just to give you an idea...
The latest is actually 1.24 and was posted in the devster forum.

http://devster.monkeeh.com/sega/basiegaxorz/bex124.zip

BasiEgaXorz actually has it's on forum there:
http://devster.proboards22.com/index.cg ... asiegaxorz

It now uses a command line app to compile, and asmx to do the assembling, so I think the limits don't matter now.
Is ASMX MRI compatible? If you don't know, it means it uses the same syntax such as SNASM68K or ASM68K. A good example of non-MRI compatible assembler is GAS by default, through you can get it into MRI compatibility mode with the -M/--mri switch.
I believe it is. Not 100% certain on that, but it looks VERY much the same to me. If you have to change something, it's not nearly as much as GAS.

Asmx can be compiled in linux (how I use it) or cygwin for Windows.
About the GNU tools, I think I better put a link to them... They take up just too much space. I don't have any space limits in Sepwich, but anyways... And after all, by the URLs I guess they're from the official sources, right? ;)
Yes, KPIT is the official source and maintains both linux and Windows toolchains for gcc and gdb for the SH family. They want people to register to download the tools. It's not a big deal, and they email you when an update comes out. Their latest GNUSH toolchain is 77MB in size, and gives gcc 4.2 for the SH family. If people fuss too much, we could always just put a copy on MediaFire or MegaUpload or something.

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:00 pm

I checked and ASMX is MRI compatible, so don't worry. However it's missing DCB and macro parameters don't seem to work properly :/ (what, it only accepts one parameter per macro?). Hence Ninja Fight didn't assemble with it.

Also, you don't need cygwin to use it under Windows. I just compiled all C files together as a console application and it worked perfectly. The reason is simple, it's pure ANSI C using only the standard library, so it isn't platform-dependant.
Chilly Willy wrote:If people fuss too much, we could always just put a copy on MediaFire or MegaUpload or something.
For that I could instead upload it directly to the host as the rest of the files. The host hard disk space is "infinite" (Sepwich doesn't have any kind of limitations besides the hardware itself, which is very huge), my computer hard disk space isn't ;)

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:17 pm

Sik wrote:my computer hard disk space isn't ;)
You don't have 77MB of free disk space?

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:53 pm

who knows... I have 2x 250GB HDDs and both are pretty filled up... I really should burn some stuff to DVDs but I'd rather buy another HDD...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:18 pm

I have 80GB and 50% is already used, and I don't have so many things to take up so many space o_o' Oh, wait, yeah, Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Shuffle, SADX, Ether Vapor, Hinokakera...

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:30 pm

So, you have 40GB free, so why you told about lack of free disk space?