New Gen/MD Programming Community

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Poeplars

New Gen/MD Programming Community

Post by Poeplars » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:09 am

Hello Sega Genesis/Megadrive enthusiasts!

As there are no clean Sega Megadrive/Genesis programming
community, most of the pages are either combined with other
consoles or something else.
That's why me and a group of sega fanatics are working on
setting up a new community, like Devega which is dead :(

Ofcourse we would need some help in acquiring documents
and such to archive it and a system for users to create
different articles containing information about different fields
in the megadrive/genesis internal workings!

And ofcourse a site where people can post their demos/games
/musical tunes and other things made for the sega genesis or
megadrive. With or without source code :)

Right now the documents and such are scattered around the
web and it's pretty hard to find decent documents containing
information without asking people which documents to read,
which documents would suffice in learning the M68000 ASM
language and ofcourse program demos/games and musical
tunes for the sega megadrive/genesis.

We want to help newcommers in their journey towards joining
the forces of people who can program for the most wonderful
console ever made.

What's your thoughts and feelings on this project?

Have a nice day! :)

zinger
Very interested

Post by zinger » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:48 pm

Sounds great - MD dev scene definetly needs something as comprehensive as this. I look forward to contributing and learning from the site, good luck!

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:51 am

elbarto, already got that idea for the domain megadrive.org and worked already on it. might be a double work

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:35 am

I would say the more the merrier :)
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:59 am

more hubs imply thatthe scene gonna be more scattered, it's already small enought, let's not split it. A join venture would be better imho

CarlRuben

Post by CarlRuben » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:25 pm

I like the idea of having a sort of archive where articles and documents can be gathered and uploaded so you can easily browse through them without having to visit several websites, ofc there should be a link to the authors website aswell :)

zinger
Very interested

Post by zinger » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm

Pascal wrote:more hubs imply thatthe scene gonna be more scattered, it's already small enought, let's not split it. A join venture would be better imho
Some scene wars could be interesting. ;)

LocalH
Very interested

Post by LocalH » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:14 am

HAHAHAHAH

Classic wardemos FTMFW.

Edge-`
Interested

Post by Edge-` » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:58 pm

Maybe if this scene was newer and more popular, scene wars would be beneficial, but we are just a small group of developers and enthusiasts. I think having everything in once place is the best route. These forums are a good example of that. If anything at least one site linking all the other sites together that displays news and happenings from each on the front page as news, etc. would work well. A place to archive works, forums and what not would be awesome too as you never know when something will happen (like the loss of Lewis's forums), a place to bring all the files posted into the forums, and demos scattered across free file sending sites into a stable location.

Just my two cents.
Genny Wars (Someday.. :D)

tinctu
Very interested

Post by tinctu » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:34 pm

I think scene can be rather "not interesting to other platforms".
I mean I like GB ,ATARI ,PC and AMIGA demos...
I like Nextgen consoles demos and NES demos too and strange platform demos I like too I mean POKEMON MINI...
Well I want say that "good production is not hardware thing" but it is design ,smart code and good design and original idea thing.
But on other side I want see lot of MD icons in intro ,demo... production on POUET :P

what about sega68kscene.com :)))

ElBarto
Very interested

Post by ElBarto » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:56 pm

As Pascal said I've already started a website, unfortunatly I've lost the source in a disk crash :evil: (always backup our sources man ...).
For now I've no time to continue this project, maybe in one or two month.
If you want I can provide you access to my server Poeplars, just pm me for this.

matteus
Very interested

Post by matteus » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:49 pm

It's taken me a good 3 years to find this place......and that's all because of one link I found on Fonzie's page...other than that I had no knowledge of its existence.

I think the main reason surrounding why this group is so small is its fragmentation.

You have two groups of people interested in the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive / Sega CD / Mega CD, etc:

1. The Retro Gamers - The people who like retro gaming in general, discuss it on forums like sega 16, collect games and talk about the good old days

3. The Retro Devs - You lot, the people who like pushing the hardware and doing new and crazy things :)

What Sega-16 suffers from and a fair few of the dev sites is bad SEO....Poor SEO usage on the URLS, Meta tags, etc. If you search for a specific genesis title that's been reviewed on sega 16 it should turn up in the top 5 it doesn't....

I bet a good 20% of people who would be interested in either development or sites like sega 16 don't find what they want mainly due to it being fragmented over so many sites committed to different aspects of either Genesis or Sega CD development.

You need a site to attract both communities. One side of the site a bit like Sega 16 and the other dedicated to the hardware and development. Both with decent keywords, etc so you get maximum returns on searches using google that way you have an audience cross over