Buggy Tails in Sonic 2

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

evildragon
Very interested

Buggy Tails in Sonic 2

Post by evildragon » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:50 am

I thought I'd start a separate thread, to not bring the other one off topic.

Never mind in the other thread, the video of Tails 100% copying my moves in real time, that was an emulator issue.

This however, is on real hardware, stock and unmodified, and it only happens it seems, in the Oil Ocean level.

Tails only slides, won't jump, and well, gets in front of the pipe layer too sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Sd09sRYRo

Any ideas how this happens? I might be able to reproduce this on an emulator too, and get a savestate when it happens.

LocalH
Very interested

Post by LocalH » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:03 am

Probably one of Tails' state variables gets somehow set out of bounds. I seem to remember seeing shit like that happen in the later beta, probably just a bug they never came across in testing and thus never fixed. Do you have a way to test and see if it happens in the Sonic Classics version of Sonic 2? There's a decent chance they fixed it between rev 01 and what we believe is rev 02.

BTW, in that vid Tails is always in front of the pipe layer - the only reason he disappears sometimes is because Sonic's sprite is higher priority and when a higher priority sprite is on top of a lower priority sprite, the higher priority sprite takes effect, even if it's set to be below tile data and the lower priority sprite is set to be above tile data. I think some of the NES Mega Man games used this on the NES, if I'm not mistaken.

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:46 pm

I don't have a way to test the Classics on real hardware, but I can in an emulator.

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:31 pm

Not sure if my webhosting works anymore (stay away from spymac, everyone hates those money stealing theives, i regret it too)

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/bugtails.gsx

that's the save state of the bug..