Most compatible way to jump to game image on hardware - making my own cart

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Stef
Very interested

Re: Most compatible way to jump to game image on hardware - making my own cart

Post by Stef » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:58 pm

Oh not at all, to be honest i was interested in understanding why SGDK prods weren't working too ;)
Also i'm quite surprised that no official game was impacted by that but maybe lot of games actually reset everything on soft reset.

raq
Interested

Post by raq » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Yep those initial 50% that worked before probably do what stef said or they use there on soft reset mechanism by a variable/flag in WRAM.

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:42 pm

MrD wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 am
Edit - I'm putting together a new spreadsheet of Sonic mods changed by the IO fix, and I'm trying Griel's Quest again. It turns out that on the level select menu, for some bonkers reason buttons A and C are 'confirm' and B is 'back', which is outrageous!
Uuuuuh, what else do you expect them to be? (even Sonic 3 does that in the Data Select screen, B returns you back to the title screen)
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

MrD
Very interested

Post by MrD » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:25 pm

Sik wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:42 pm
MrD wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 am
Edit - I'm putting together a new spreadsheet of Sonic mods changed by the IO fix, and I'm trying Griel's Quest again. It turns out that on the level select menu, for some bonkers reason buttons A and C are 'confirm' and B is 'back', which is outrageous!
Uuuuuh, what else do you expect them to be? (even Sonic 3 does that in the Data Select screen, B returns you back to the title screen)
B is labelled 'Trigger', has the homing nub on it, and (if I'm not mistaken) maps to and from the primary fire if you (inadvisably) plug in an Atari/Amiga/SMS 9-pin controller / plug an MD pad into an Amiga.

To me, B is and always has been the main fire button!

If you're about to tell me that 'Trigger' refers to the button group and not just B, break it to me gently, I don't think I'd survive. :D

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:49 am

Yeah, "trigger" refers to the letter buttons (several manuals and in a handful of cases the games themselves refer to "A trigger" / "B trigger" / "C trigger"). Contrast with Start button and Directional Pad.

B maps to the Atari button because the Master System controller has two buttons and their internal order is arranged left to right (1 and 2, respectively), and for whatever reason Sega wanted 1 to be the main button (it was even labelled "Start"). The Mega Drive controller is backwards compatible and they actually got the memo to be ergonomic this time, so 1 and 2 got mapped to B and C (while A is the "new" button, despite being the first letter-wise).

Backwards compatibility is awkward like that.

EDIT: more to the point

Then again, most games seem to use different controls for title screen and Options, and in many cases they didn't even provide a way to cancel. But this isn't the '90s anymore, give players some slack if they select the wrong option :​v
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

MrD
Very interested

Post by MrD » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:36 pm

Just when I thought this year couldn't get any stranger... Thanks!

I don't recall seeing myself any games that list ABC as A TRIGGER, B TRIGGER, C TRIGGER in the option mode, but I can definitely imagine it.

I still feel somewhat justified as that describes B as being the main trigger button for action games. :P

MrD
Very interested

Post by MrD » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:23 pm

Sonic mods compatibility spreadsheet for the games that were previously marked as Crashed:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Wt/pubhtml

I just need to get to writing up the website for my cart now and it's done I think. :)

I thought that Sonic 2 Advanced Edit Release 4 would always be blowing up, but I was wondering why Release 4 was broken when Release 3 wasn't. It turns out that they're almost completely different games. I checked in the release thread for 4 and saw that folks with Everdrives were having the same troubles as me running R4, which is good to know. And when I can get R4 started (which is more often than I thought; the compatibility for this game seems to vary depending on the day of the week), it'll go into the game just fine, but I can follow the devs' advice and use the level select as well. The music unfortunately is a big mess on my system. I wonder if anybody's tried to hack the hack and put the music back.

Edit - Found a game that calls the buttons triggers: The Terminator. On the options screen there's an option to configure triggers and it says "PRESS TRIGGER 'A' TO ALTER LAYOUT / PRESS TRIGGER 'C' WHEN FINISHED"