Versions of Sonic 2

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

evildragon
Very interested

Versions of Sonic 2

Post by evildragon » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:32 am

I was playing my copy of Sonic 2 (i dumped it myself), and noticed that CPZ has a different color palette on the background, than the ROM I have on my emulator from a previous download. (before I dumped my own cartridge).

I will get a screenshot in a moment, but, was their different revisions of Sonic 2?

EDIT: Turns out the emulator I was using (Genesis Plus) on OS X loads the palette incorrectly. I used two emulators side by side, so my bad.

I can't believe that guy charges for his emulator, and they aren't even good. Pitty to anyone who actually buys the full version. (It's YM2612 emulation is horrible)

LocalH
Very interested

Post by LocalH » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 am

Not that it has anything to do with the pallet issue you saw with that particular emulator, but S&K checks for three different revisions of S2, and two of them are dumped.

Rev 00 - First revision, dumped, minor bugs present (CNZ1 signpost few pixels too low, typo in credits)
Rev 01 - Second revision, dumped, some bugs from rev 00 fixed ("Super Sonic transformation-after-endpost" bug still present)
Rev 02 - Third revision, undumped, known to exist because S&K checks for it, could potentially be the build that exists in Sonic Classics/Sonic Compilation (with fixed "Super Sonic transformation-after-endpost" bug)

Rev 01 is the most common version in the wild, I'd hazard a guess that it's most likely what you have. If your cart's header shows 02 then please share the dump with the Sonic scene, so that we can have a complete series of unmodified retail S2 dumps.

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:30 am

This is what's in the first top area of my dump. No idea how to check.

Code: Select all

...................................................................................................................T............................................................................................................................................SEGA GENESIS    (C)SEGA 1992.SEPSONIC THE             HEDGEHOG 2                SONIC THE             HEDGEHOG 2                GM 00001051-01.QJ               ................                                                                JUE             NqNq`.J.....f.Jy....f|K..|L...L....)......g.#|SEGA/.0.p.,@Nfr...8..GQ...(.6.2.4...

LocalH
Very interested

Post by LocalH » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:16 am

evildragon wrote:

Code: Select all

GM 00001051-01
That's how. Yours is rev 01, as I figured.

8bitwizard
Very interested

Re: Versions of Sonic 2

Post by 8bitwizard » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:22 am

evildragon wrote:I can't believe that guy charges for his emulator, and they aren't even good. Pitty to anyone who actually buys the full version. (It's YM2612 emulation is horrible)
The best part is when an emulator of his has had bugs for years, and he still expects you to upgrade to the paid version. (which just enables features, so the bugs will still be there) The ColecoVision version doesn't emulate the right fire button, plus it aborts on any access to an undefined memory address. I think there was also some other bug I found in it a couple of years ago, but I don't remember it any more.

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:26 am

I contacted him about the bug, and I get pointed to Generator, which doesn't have the VDP bugs, but instead like Genesis Plus, still has shitty audio, which he blames my Macs sound card, which is bogus. The spinner at the level of an audio shouldn't sound so distorted...

Thing is, I like using Genesis Plus because it has the NTSC filter. So, I have two different emulators from the same guy, and they both want things I want in the SAME emulator.

pfft...

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:56 pm

I currently use picodrive for the PSP for my Genesis/CD emulation. It's the finest SEGA emu on the PSP at the moment, even playing things like Sonic CD and EWJ:SE at full speed.

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:02 pm

I had an interesting problem with Sonic 2 just a little while ago.

Tails' AI or whatever it used ceased and was just directly copying my moves, 100%.. I made a video of it and will put it on youtube.

You know how tails usually has a delay to the controls you do? Well it was 100% copying it, in real time..

I was using the "Generator" emulator, which has never given this particular bug before.

EDIT: Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGCMdB08ZRc

If I come across it again, I'll make a save state and send it in if you'd like.