Cart Design Questions

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

cero
Very interested

Re: Cart Design Questions

Post by cero » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:48 pm

The Saleae logic16 clones are very cheap and work well, if the specs are enough for you (16 channels etc). IIRC I paid under 20$ from ali.

themrcul
Very interested

Post by themrcul » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:38 pm

Hi cero, thanks for your reply.
But wouldn't I need more than 16 lines? I'd need 5x control lines, 22 address and 16 data lines alone to see accurately what's going on.
Or am I missing something?

cero
Very interested

Post by cero » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:35 am

Surely you can repeat the test with recording different lines? If the ROM does the same thing, and only one thing, you can first record these lines, then those lines... Saves money vs a big scope.

edit: Or if you really need simultaneous channels, buy several and have them record at once ;) If you have all of them record one channel that can sync them, then you could combine the recordings.

Charles MacDonald
Very interested

Post by Charles MacDonald » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:17 pm

About TMSS I think I'd need to see the entire cartridge "rom" (the fake one baked in to the CPLD) that you're using to answer that. Can you provide a binary dump of the first 256 bytes of the ROM data that you're presenting to the 68K so we can see what it's doing -- like using your cart dumper with your dev cart would be perfect for this.

I don't have a TMSS console handy to check but I think the idea is that if the cartridge header looks good you see that "Under license by" screen (white text on black background). Are you seeing that, or does it not get that far?

themrcul
Very interested

Post by themrcul » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:11 am

Hi Charles and cero,
Thanks to you both for your posts. Sorry for the length of my reply but I want to get everything down in case that helps me get to a solution!

About the TMSS, I'm not even getting that far. When I load the Sonic the Hedgehog ROM onto my SDRAM cart plugged into my Mega Drive 2 and then hit the on button on the Mega Drive, I get a very quick small flash of white bars but then just a black screen.

If I put a retail cartridge into the Mega Drive and turn it on I get the same instant white bars flash (I guess that happens when any device connected to a CRT turns on) but then I get the TMSS "Produced by or under license from Sega Enterprises" and the game boots.

As a note, I have fixed the ROM size calculation on my retail cartridge reader/writer - I suspected that it wasn't using the header to determine ROM size but a manual 'read address near edge of 256KB, 512KB, 1MB, 2MB", etc and see if the data changes, then determine the ROM size that way.

So what I did was hack my CPLD code to mask all SDRAM addresses to a max of 512KB, like this:

Code: Select all

STATE_SDRAM_ReadForMD_ReadWord: begin
				sdramAddress <= { 2'b0, mdAddress_sync & 22'h3FFFF };
			end
Obviously if I get the rest of the cart working I will program a more intelligent masking algorithm but I'm just trying to get Sonic working for now, and Sonic 1 is 512KB.

Well my suspicions were correct, putting the mask in there made the retail cartridge reader correctly determine the size of the ROM to be 512KB. I can read the ROM written to the SDRAM of my cartridge using this retail cart reader and it is byte for byte a match with the ROM loaded from a retail Sonic 1 cartridge read from the same retail cart reader.
So just to be clear, I put a genuine Sonic retail cart into the cart reader, and read that ROM to a file, 512KB.
Then I use that file and send it to my cartridge - it writes it to the SDRAM onboard.
Then I plug my cartridge into the reader and read that ROM, 512KB to a file.
The files are byte for byte the same.

So thanks Charles for your offer to check the header for me, but the whole ROM is readable now and is correct so that answers that question.

What is interesting is that if I involve the CE0 signal at all in my CPLD code, the retail reader fails to get any correct data off my cart.
It only works if I only use CAS0. With CE0, the reader says it is an unknown cartridge with no name, 0MB of size and 0KB of SRAM size.

There are 3 places in my code where I can use CAS0 and/or CE0: (and as a note, mdPresence_sync is simply 3.3V for when the cart is plugged into a running Mega Drive, 0V for when it is not plugged into a running Mega Drive):

1) Output Enable/Disable the data transceiver for 5V <-> 3.3V translation. Output disable puts the output of the transceiver to be high Z.
Code is:

assign mdDataDisable = ~mdPresence_sync | mdReadCAS0_sync;
If I involve CE0 at all the retail cart reader fails.
Eg:

assign mdDataDisable = ~mdPresence_sync | mdReadCAS0_sync | mdCartRangeCE_0_sync;
And

assign mdDataDisable = ~mdPresence_sync | mdCartRangeCE_0_sync;
Fails.

2)
The second place is in the main state loop, to see if the Mega Drive is requesting a read. This works on the retail reader:

STATE_CPLD_Idle: begin
			if (mdPresence_sync & ~mdReadCAS0_sync) begin
				// we need to read data for the MD
				cpld_state_next = STATE_SDRAM_ReadForMD_WaitUntilReady;
			end
Again, CE0 breaks it. I would think it would need to be this:

if (mdPresence_sync & ~mdReadCAS0_sync & ~mdCartRangeCE_0_sync) begin
			end
But that breaks it.
This fails too:

if (mdPresence_sync & ~mdCartRangeCE_0_sync) begin
			end
3)
The last spot is to determine the finish of a read:

STATE_SDRAM_ReadForMD_WaitForReadToFinish: begin
			cpld_state_next = (~mdPresence_sync | mdReadCAS0_sync) ? STATE_CPLD_Idle : STATE_SDRAM_ReadForMD_WaitForReadToFinish;
		end
Again CE0 stuffs things up.

Maybe this is impacting the Mega Drive too? Sadly any combination of using CE0 and not doesn't work on the Mega Drive either. Without any measurement tools I don't know for sure what is happening either.

I thought, maybe there is something faulty with the CE0 line to the CPLD? Perhaps it isn't connected or there is a solder bridge somewhere along the line stuffing things up?
So I tested the CE0 line alongside all adjacent PCB lines as well, in case there is a bridge somewhere impacting the line, but CE0 functions fine - I can set it to 1 or 0 and all adjacent lines too and they are all functioning independently and correctly...

My other thought is that it is just not getting the data to the Mega Drive fast enough - when I first designed and built this PCB I never knew that CPLDs/FPGAs without PLLs would halve incoming clock lines that are output to other ICs - so my CPLD running at 100MHz is actually running the SDRAM at 50MHz.
My SAM4S micro disables DAC sound output if running higher than 100MHz but can run up to 120MHz if DAC output is not needed, so as a test I put the clock up to 120MHz and tightened up the SDRAM timings to the absolute fastest they can be while still returning reliable data.
Of course it still doesn't work on the Mega Drive, but it is still possible that it still isn't fast enough - the SDRAM I have can run up to 133MHz, but I am currently nowhere near that, at 60MHz.

So, unless a new idea comes to me I'm at the point now where I have to choose from 2 options:
1) Bite the bullet and redesign the PCB around SRAM rather than SDRAM, purchase the parts and solder up another board, or:
2) Make a simple PCB that sits between the Mega Drive and a cartridge plugged in that exposes test points for each address, control and data line, and also purchase a logic analyzer to measure what is happening.

With option 2, there is no guarantee that I will be able to solve what is wrong, but I will at least see what is happening, hopefully?
With option 1, it will cost me time to redesign and then time to solder everything again. But there is the chance that it will "just work", saving the cost of purchasing a logic analyzer - I can't find any affordable 32-channel ones. There are some 16 channel ones that could work...

But I wonder why involving the CE0 line at all breaks reading? Anyway thanks to all in advance for any ideas.

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:15 am

themrcul wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:11 am
What is interesting is that if I involve the CE0 signal at all in my CPLD code, the retail reader fails to get any correct data off my cart.
It only works if I only use CAS0. With CE0, the reader says it is an unknown cartridge with no name, 0MB of size and 0KB of SRAM size.
I'm not sure why your cart reader is failing when you use CE0, but using CE0 is absolutely required for compatibility with TMSS. Without it you have no way to distinguish a TMSS access from a cartridge access and you will get into a bus fight.

FWIW, I think a logic analyzer would be a good investment, even if it's a relatively cheap one that doesn't have very many channels. Being able to capture the control signals and a few data lines would go a long way towards verifying your device is behaving as you expect in the console. You don't necessarily need a special board in between the cart and console for this, though I will say that attaching individual probes can get fairly tedious (especially with the crappy cheap ones that came with my logic analyzer).

I would be kind of surprised if your timing wasn't good enough to at least service the 68K. Timing on that is fairly relaxed. DMA is trickier though.

themrcul
Very interested

Post by themrcul » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:15 am

Thanks guys,
I just missed out on an Amazon sale for a 32 channel LA, but have found a 16 channel one that looks ok.
Without the sale the 32 channel one is just too expensive, at ~$400AUD.

But before I hit the buy it now button on the 16 channel one, I just wanted to check, if this logic analyser can only sample at 16MHz for 16 channels at once, would that be fast enough for analysing the Mega Drive cartridge bus?
If I drop down to 8 channels max I can sample at 32MHz, but it would be great to be able to do 16 channels at once if possible!

This is the one I'm thinking of btw:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMdelkQ

Alternatively I could get the basic model for this one, which may be an upgrade from the one above:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrGYemQ

Thanks guys!

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:39 pm

themrcul wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:15 am
But before I hit the buy it now button on the 16 channel one, I just wanted to check, if this logic analyser can only sample at 16MHz for 16 channels at once, would that be fast enough for analysing the Mega Drive cartridge bus?
In general, you need your sample rate to be at least twice as fast as the fastest signal you want to sample. So for instance, if you wanted to get the 68K clock (not strictly necessary for capturing cart signals, but I find it useful to be able to look at how signals are changing in relation to the relevant clock sometimes), 16MHz would be just barely sufficient. I think if you want to be able to debug DMA you would want something that can go higher.

themrcul
Very interested

Post by themrcul » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:01 am

Ok thanks Mask,
I see with a quick Google that the DMA controller runs at ~13MHz - so I will need ~30MHz to get a reading of what is going on there.
That means if I'm debugging DMA I'll only be able to do a max of 9 channels to ensure I'm running at 32MHz.

Other Logic Analyzers with guaranteed ~100MHz for 16 channels run at twice the price. I'll have to have a think about which one I get.

Hopefully stitching up multiple logic readings isn't too difficult!

themrcul
Very interested

Post by themrcul » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:29 pm

Hi guys,
I've knocked up a test PCB to sit between a Mega Drive and any cartridge that I plug in.

Life is busy (as I assume it is for everyone here!), and I've done it in a way that orders the address and data lines in a easy way for me to plug a logic analyzer into.

But before I do the finishing touches and make an order to get it fabricated I wanted to post it here and ask, is "untangling" the address and data lines like I have done not a good idea, electrically or for any other reason?

The easy way is of course to just connect everything in the order it is in the cart edge. However actually using the test PCB in that case would be more difficult as I would need to look all over the board to find the next address or data line.

Anyway, is what I've done ok or should I just scrap it and connect everything up in the order they come out from the cart edge?

Thanks in advance to anyone who posts back for me.
MD Test Cart Render.png
MD Test Cart Render.png (67.66 KiB) Viewed 15967 times

themrcul
Very interested

Post by themrcul » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:17 am

Hey fellas,
Just letting y'all know I've trimmed up some bits and pieces of the PCB and made an order for it, along with a 16bit logic analyzer from Aliexpress.
I hope this combination will help me track down what is going wrong with my original design. It will be a few weeks before delivery and I'll have to learn how to use the logic analyzer, but I'm hopeful at least!