How I can get started learning C and the SGDK?

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

scythe&GenGames

How I can get started learning C and the SGDK?

Post by scythe&GenGames » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 pm

I have no experience of C but I'm willing to try my hand of getting to know about C code and how it works so I can work on making my SEGA Gen Games, as I would love to get Scythe & Genesis Games out of the hiatus and get many games in.

As I journey to make a homebrew game I would like to use the Sonic 2 engine and put in my own twist to it as it contains my own Sonic 2 version of the Music engine as well...as it's needed for many games. - So how I can start getting into C that's needed for SGDK and whip out Sega Gens games?

PS:I may do a special game for someone I know as long I provide betas to the game and I don't need to worry about any payments needed for the usage of characters.

themrcul
Very interested

Re: How I can get started learning C and the SGDK?

Post by themrcul » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:34 am

Hi Scythe,
Have you programmed in any language before? Or are you looking to learn your first programming language?

I'm no expert, but my suggestion would be to learn C programming independently from Mega Drive games development. Once you are proficient in C programming, then try working with an established 2D library for PC, like SDL. Only after you are confident in both those areas would I recommend to try your hand at Mega Drive games development.

The reason is, C programming is complicated enough. Tackling what is essentially embedded level games development requires more than just programming language knowledge.

When I learnt programming, my first language was C. I first learnt how to some simple Windows Command console text games, then moved on to SDL to learn the basics of 2D graphics.
Even getting a basic tile engine going on the Mega Drive is considerably more complicated than getting a tile engine working in SDL.

So my advice is, start small and basic, learn generic C programming, then an easier to use 2D graphics library like SDL, then when you are confident and getting good results with those, to try some Mega Drive stuff.

scythe&GenGames

Post by scythe&GenGames » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:14 am

themrcul wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:34 am
Hi Scythe,
Have you programmed in any language before? Or are you looking to learn your first programming language?

I'm no expert, but my suggestion would be to learn C programming independently from Mega Drive games development. Once you are proficient in C programming, then try working with an established 2D library for PC, like SDL. Only after you are confident in both those areas would I recommend to try your hand at Mega Drive games development.

The reason is, C programming is complicated enough. Tackling what is essentially embedded level games development requires more than just programming language knowledge.

When I learnt programming, my first language was C. I first learnt how to some simple Windows Command console text games, then moved on to SDL to learn the basics of 2D graphics.
Even getting a basic tile engine going on the Mega Drive is considerably more complicated than getting a tile engine working in SDL.

So my advice is, start small and basic, learn generic C programming, then an easier to use 2D graphics library like SDL, then when you are confident and getting good results with those, to try some Mega Drive stuff.
Call me Alex as Scythe & Gen Games is my dev name XD

I never had the chance to get into the C code as I'm trying to look at books that explains how to program some games using C for Windows and I still haven't done anything yet!

themrcul
Very interested

Post by themrcul » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:29 am

Well, those programming books are probably a good place to start regardless :)