Setting up GenDev Linux on Eclipse CDT

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

scythe&GenGames

Setting up GenDev Linux on Eclipse CDT

Post by scythe&GenGames » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:00 am

I have the GenDev Installed for Linux and not sure how to set it up for Eclipse CDT which is hard to get it ready the whole thing is on my /opt/Gendev folder

So what I have to do to setup Linux GenDev up for Eclipse CDT? So it's easier to build the games faster then doing terminal commands to get it made with everything I'll need to do to build homebrew roms.

simonv

Re: Setting up GenDev Linux on Eclipse CDT

Post by simonv » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:35 am

Did you end up finding a way? I remember doing this years ago, all I did was adapt a SGDK/Eclipse on Windows tutorial https://singularityprogramming.wordpres ... with-sgdk/ (warning it is for an older version of Eclipse!). Hopefully you can still find it useful. I find myself testing Gendev on different platforms more than actually making anything with it - I even built it on Windows Subsystem for Linux, having the best of both worlds (Linux toolchain and access to Windows-based emulators). I may write up or make a video on how to build it on non-GNU systems if anyone's interested, my platform of choice is OpenBSD and building it on that was quite the challenge (so many hardcoded GNU-isms), but it works.

If you haven't figured it out yet I'll have another crack at it on my openSUSE machine and I'll let you know how I went. I already have it running with Visual Studio Code.

scythe&GenGames

Post by scythe&GenGames » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:33 am

simonv wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:35 am
Did you end up finding a way? I remember doing this years ago, all I did was adapt a SGDK/Eclipse on Windows tutorial https://singularityprogramming.wordpres ... with-sgdk/ (warning it is for an older version of Eclipse!). Hopefully you can still find it useful. I find myself testing Gendev on different platforms more than actually making anything with it - I even built it on Windows Subsystem for Linux, having the best of both worlds (Linux toolchain and access to Windows-based emulators). I may write up or make a video on how to build it on non-GNU systems if anyone's interested, my platform of choice is OpenBSD and building it on that was quite the challenge (so many hardcoded GNU-isms), but it works.

If you haven't figured it out yet I'll have another crack at it on my openSUSE machine and I'll let you know how I went. I already have it running with Visual Studio Code.
Sadly no, I tried to follow the old one but it too confusin' to get just right, the Linux OS I'm using is Linux Mint which uses Ubuntu 16.04 for it's Linux OS based distro. So i've tried to follow the old windows version to know how to get it setup for Eclipse CDT and it's the latest version as well.

simonv

Post by simonv » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:00 am

It shouldn't matter which distro you have, it builds the same way with everything. Did you try this? https://github.com/Stephane-D/SGDK/wiki ... th-Eclipse

I installed the latest version of Eclipse (I think it's Oxygen, October 2017?) and followed the old tutorial from my previous post and it still works. But, the above link will also work with the following changes:

Setup Eclipse:
  • Step 1: Here, you should already have defined an environment variable here (I think Gendev sets GENDEV=/opt/gendev).
  • Step 6: set Build command value to

Code: Select all

make -f '${GENDEV}/sgdk/mkfiles/makefile.gen'
Setup Project:
  • Step 4: Set the directory to

Code: Select all

${GENDEV}/sgdk/inc
Following the rest should have Gendev working in Eclipse. As a bonus, you can have it invoke an emulator with the Run command:
  • Go to Run > Run Configurations... and make a new run configuration (I've provided example screens, with the mednafen emulator, but replace with any one you like):
Screenshot_2017-11-26_15-46-44.png
Screenshot_2017-11-26_15-46-44.png (64.37 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
  • Go to the Arguments tab and fill it with the following:
Screenshot_2017-11-26_15-47-07.png
Screenshot_2017-11-26_15-47-07.png (59.85 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
  • You should now have the following after coding, building and hitting Run:
Screenshot_2017-11-26_15-47-48.png
Screenshot_2017-11-26_15-47-48.png (158.27 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
Let me know if you hit a snag, but that should about do it.

scythe&GenGames

Post by scythe&GenGames » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:18 am

yeah I tried using my installed Gendev then follow what I have to from that and still it brought to a complete halt, I'm sure I'm followin' the windows version which that is stated there, where GenDev installed is inside the filesystem in it's own folders to run when I've installed it - I still can't get it setup for usage I may be doin' something wrong as it claims it can't find the stuff!

Error: Program "make" not found in PATH - like what?!?! I followed what you put look at the following below V

23:59:12 **** Incremental Build of configuration Release for project Dr. Alex Mircale Cure DX ****
make -f $/opt/gendev/sgdk/mkfiles/makefile.gen Release
Cannot run program "make": Unknown reason

Error: Program "make" not found in PATH
PATH=[/opt/gendev/]

23:59:12 Build Finished (took 11ms)