MegaPlay or System C2?

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

CrazyMonkey

MegaPlay or System C2?

Post by CrazyMonkey » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:44 pm

(Have I wrote this thread at the correct section?)
I have been discussing about developing on those boards here: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh ... =5&o=&vc=1

But considering you guys have put a lot of dedication to the genny, I'd just like to know, what's your opinion on this regard?
MegaPlay has been very trivial and overall very easy to handle, after writing a pair of tools in C that split and join the odd/even bytes and doing some dirty disassembly work on a MegaPlay ROM to find out any necessary system-related routines.
System C2 seems a bit of a different beast, as the palette and VSync process is said to work differently. How much different is it? Considering that I'm totally used to the Sega Genesis..
With only a single drawback as written in my post at mameworld, is it really worth taking a look at?

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Re: MegaPlay or System C2?

Post by KanedaFr » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:38 pm

I was so sure MegaPlay was the Megadrive for Arcade !
Happy to learn about the C2 !

That said, they changed the sound sys (ouch!) and the CRAM....it won't be easy to dev on this platform...
But if I remember, Charles did some research on it some years ago.
Knowing the quality of his works, you'll find a lot of useful info there.

Now, the question is : is there a "almost" perfect C2 emulator ? or does a genuine C2 board can get its ROM be swapped without self destruct ?

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:08 am

Self destruct usually applies to the program itself (hello suicide batteries!) so that shouldn't matter. Never heard of a selfdestructing board yet.

That said, yeah the C2 is a completely different beast.
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

CrazyMonkey

Post by CrazyMonkey » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:21 am

I'm trying to get my game to boot correctly, without much success.

My biggest issue is that the only documentation I think to exist, is MAME's driver file: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/ma ... gaplay.cpp

However I'm only beginnning in the C programming, and I don't think I understand any bit from it. If I could at the very least understand the new address map, things would go much easier. I'm trying to disassemble part of Sonic 1's MegaPlay ROM to help myself with some code, but I still don't have any proper results.

In that case, do anyone have any extra information about the MegaPlay, please? Or can understand the driver file? Any help is appreciated!