How to crash the emulator?

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

HCKTROX
Interested

How to crash the emulator?

Post by HCKTROX » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:38 am

Time for a goofy question now... but here it goes:

Years ago, while trying to learn the basics of the console, I had bugs, lots of bugs. But in a single ocassion, I made it bad enough the game didn't crash, but the emulator. Until today I haven't been able to do it again; I don't remember how I done it, nor if happened on Gens, Kega, nor any emulator I know.

There's some really odd joke I thought on days ago.. and I'd like to do it again. Do anybody know how to cause this? thank you!
Last edited by HCKTROX on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:17 am

Crashing the emulator with a guest program is supposed to be impossible given a bug-free emulator. So the answer to your question is going to be limited to a specific emulator and possibly a particular version. I'm not personally aware of any crash bugs in the popular emulators, but I wouldn't be surprised if they existed.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:13 am

I think I already got almost emulator to crash with faulty code, at least I got fusion, exodus and gens to crash... Note that they does not crash under same situation. I don't remember code I was using...

slobu
Very interested

Re: How to crash the emulator?

Post by slobu » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:09 pm

Use a proprietary size/bank switching scheme. Emulators expect certain formats and sizes.