GigaDrive (aka 3D-TV compatible Sega Mega Drive) specs by M2

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Eke
Very interested

GigaDrive (aka 3D-TV compatible Sega Mega Drive) specs by M2

Post by Eke » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:21 pm

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/03/sega-3 ... ?6866311=1

A very interesting interview with M2, who was responsible of the recent 3DS adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog MD, where they explain the difficulties they had with emulating the Mega Drive on the (relatively weak) 3DS hardware and how they ended designing a virtual VDP with extra features for 3D display

GigaDrive (aka Super MegaDrive) Specs, Draft v1.0.
In a fictional version of the early 1990s where 3D TVs have proliferated, M2 has finalized the specs for an imaginary 3D TV-compatible SEGA game console, the GigaDrive. The 3D MegaDrive, which will subsequently be released by SEGA, will conform to these imaginary hardware specs. While highly unlikely to ever see the light of day, in the off chance that it does, M2 has taken careful consideration to ensure backwards compatibility with MegaDrive cartridges. In this era, once 3D MegaDrive titles popped up, a fair selection of games were released for the GigaDrive.

Hey you!! Why not give SEGA’s new imaginary console a test drive with 3D Sonic?

* Please note the specs below are in draft form. There will be changes in subsequent revisions.
■ The GigaDrive supports backward compatibility with MegaDrive games (Unmodified MDROMs will run normally without modification)

・Expanded VDP register for controlling expanded functionality included

・Expanded VRAM included

・Four extra background layers included

・Z-values can be set for each extra background or raster line

・Every sprite has a Z-value setting.

・VDP and Expanded VDP registers are memory-mapped and accessible

・VRAM and Expanded VRAM are memory-mapped and accessible

/*

* Memory Map

* $c00000 r/w VDP DATA

* $c00002 r/w VDP DATA

* $c00004 r/w VDP STATUS(read)/CTRL(write)

* $c00006 r/w VDP STATUS(read)/CTRL(write)

* $c00100-$c0012f -/w VDP REGS(write only)

* $c00130-$c0015f -/w EXT VDP REGS(write only)

* $c00200-$c0024f r/w VSRAM

* $c00300-$c0030f r/w DIPSW

* $d00000-$d0ffff r/w 64KB VRAM

* $d10000-$d1ffff r/w 64KB EXT VRAM

――Detailed I/O Map spec omitted――
It is not common that we see companies sharing technical details so I thought it was worth mentionning here. I always felt that M2, much more than other companies who developped MD emulators in the past, were putting a lot of love and passion in their work and these interviews kind of confirm it...

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:45 pm

This is really neat !
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:05 pm

I enjoyed the interview immensely!

Huge
Very interested

Post by Huge » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:52 am

The last time I remember such a thing was when they released that Sega Ages compilation of, uh, Fantasy Zone I think. One of those SMS-only sequels. They rebuilt it to run on the original arcade hardware... to the point that you could burn the game data on eproms and it actually really ran on the hardware.

tryphon
Very interested

Post by tryphon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:20 pm

Interesting indeed. But I wonder if it wouldn't have been easier to recode from scratch, using ressources from the original Megadrive game...

Huge
Very interested

Post by Huge » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:33 pm

tryphon wrote:Interesting indeed. But I wonder if it wouldn't have been easier to recode from scratch, using ressources from the original Megadrive game...
The article covers that.

tryphon
Very interested

Post by tryphon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:35 pm

I may have not well understood

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:35 am

Actually, it seems a lot easier to patch the existing game to add these additional bits of informations / support for those extra features and then extend an existing emulator than rewriting the entire game from scratch for the 3ds hardware.

The advantage is also that it can be reused for other existing games, like this one apparently:

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/05/sega-3 ... eloper-m2/

OzOnE
Interested

Post by OzOnE » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:46 pm

This is an interesting interview.

I'm sure the theoretical Super MegaDrive could actually be made to run on the FPGA, but it sounds like they will be using the original sources of the games to compile as 3DS code?

So, it's not likely that we'd be able to easily extract the 3D modified versions of the games from the ROMs (won't be 68K code, it would be ARM or whatever).

Would be great if they did modify 68K code though.
You could in theory render the two views for a 3DTV as well...

You'd need to implement all the extra registers and VDP stuff of course, then each sprite / background tile would have a certain amount of offset in the Right eye image relative to the Left eye image (based on the Z value).

I'm a bit of a 3D fan, and built my own 3D Glasses Controller for my projector (based on Petrus' design on the mtbs3d forum). I also have a 3DTV to test some of this stuff on.

I'm looking to try some basic 3D experiments on the FPGA board at some point. The ultimate for me would be a 3D N64, but that's probably a long way off. lol

(a very poor quality vid of one of my first FPGA experiments)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AQJN2eE_wY

OzOnE.