Help I am new and afraid of words

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Cherry_Balloon

Help I am new and afraid of words

Post by Cherry_Balloon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:04 am

Hello all! This place looked really neat, so I thought I'd ask a couple of questions.

I'm a newbie to the programming world, and I can't for the life of me seem to get started. I really wanna delve into this strange, exciting world but every time I look at some tutorial or book it seems to assume I'm to know about all this special computer terminology.

Adresses, opcodes, stack pointers, mirroring, all these magic worlds make me dizzy. I can understand basic concepts like moving data from point A to point B, but other than that I'm completely lost.

Can someone please help me start from the ground up? Maybe point me somewhere? Thanks in advance, I'd really appreciate it!
weew weew

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:10 am

Hello Cherry_Ballon,

Programming is a big word, here we speak mainly about programming on old system as the Sega Genesis. For that type of system you don't have many choice about the programming language: assembly, C or basic.
It's already quite comfortable to be able to code in C and even basic ;)
Are you specifically interested in programming on the Sega Genesis ?
Honestly that is not the easiest platform to start with :-/

Cherry_Balloon

Post by Cherry_Balloon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:25 am

I'm very much interested in Sega Genesis programming and development. I understand it's probably not the easiest way to start out programming, but I'm very interested and I think it'd be a cool way to start.

I've already started reading up on C, and a little bit about assembler too. Haven't given much thought to Basic, though.
weew weew

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:36 am

So if you want to start with sega megadrive development, i suggest you to try basic first as this is the easier to get you in development in general:
http://devster.monkeeh.com/sega/basiegaxorz/

You have a very nice youtube tutorial about it but in brazilian unfortunately:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... F7sd9br1YE

The problem is that you also have to understand the way the sega megadrive works, it is a 2D video game system and not the easiest and most conventional system to start programming with again ;)

r57shell
Very interested

Re: Help I am new and afraid of words

Post by r57shell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:28 am

Cherry_Balloon wrote:Can someone please help me start from the ground up?
You trying to start from ground. But, I think, in your case, you need to start from underground :)
It is, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_architecture

Because:
Cherry_Balloon wrote:Adresses, opcodes, stack pointers, mirroring, all these magic worlds make me dizzy.
This is from that field.

I don't know any good references to read. So, don't ask :)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:39 pm

I'm not very good on beginner tutorials - I tried my hand at a few on makefiles and assembly usage, but they still assume a rather high level of knowledge on C, assembly, and gcc usage. I've always had a thing for computers - I STARTED on hardware manuals from the manufacturer for assembly, and went straight to the reference manual for languages. I only took computer classes in college when I needed an easy A to raise my GPA. Other than suggest reading something like "C For Dummies," I can't really help a beginner.

Cherry_Balloon

Post by Cherry_Balloon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:17 pm

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!
weew weew