Disassembly

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Xynxyn
Very interested

Disassembly

Post by Xynxyn » Sat May 18, 2013 10:44 am

How do you disassembly Genesis games?
I had some problems with IDA Pro, and I couldn't do it. ;|

Karate_Sniper
Interested

Post by Karate_Sniper » Sat May 18, 2013 11:00 am

If you get a 68k disassembler, you can do it, but i think it will be hardly any use for you to read a very complex assembly code.

Xynxyn
Very interested

Post by Xynxyn » Sat May 18, 2013 11:16 am

Many dissasemblers are not good, like 68kd (when I tested it, there were many fails in code).
I found IRApc and IDA Pro, rest are apparently poor.
IDA Pro is compatible with SNASM68K.
My question: With which assembler is IRApc compatible?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat May 18, 2013 9:17 pm

I prefer ReSource for the Amiga when disassembling 680x0 code. IDA sucks really bad in comparison... other than supporting a bunch of different CPUs. I hate the user interface in IDA - it's like a REALLY bad DOS app.

ReSource can output assembly for a few different assemblers, but they're Amiga assemblers as you might expect. If you're just hacking a game, it's really great. If you were trying to completely RE the game, then you might run into trouble as far as reassembly goes - unless you used an Amiga assembler. But if you can run ReSource (like un UAE), you probably wouldn't have any trouble with an Amiga assembler like Devpac or PhxAss.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Sun May 19, 2013 12:51 am

You guys need to check out the "Active disassembly" feature of Exodus :). It gathers information about how code actually behaves, and how data is actually used at runtime, and uses that information to generate a more accurate disassembly. Just by enabling it and playing a game, you can gather information to assist in the disassembly process. I designed active disassembly specifically to overcome the limitations of static disassembly when working with ROM data. It's capable of handling things like jump tables, offsets, and even doing a reasonable job of figuring out data arrays and structures. I've meant to do a write-up on it, but simply haven't had the time yet.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sun May 19, 2013 1:31 am

That sounds very neat !

One day I'll chug through S3&K on my other computer to get something nice for a project that I'll start in some years...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen