Cycle accurate Mega Drive emulation: Exodus coming in April!

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

MetalliC
Interested

Post by MetalliC » Wed May 01, 2013 10:05 am

Nemesis wrote:That's probably the hyperthreading. Hyperthreading potentially gives you double the number of cores available, but in reality, those "cores" can only be used at certain times, so the hyperthreading cores will often appear "idle" when in reality, they can't be used at that time because the currently executing code can't be parallelized using hyperthreading. CPU meters don't give you an accurate picture when it comes to reporting on hyperthreading cores.
not sure, for example my CPU have real 4 cores and haven't HT, but I see ~70-75% load
at perf.monitor it looks like 2 threads locked to cores and hog it at 100% (50% overhall, and looks like one of them is bottleneck), other thread(s?) not locked and gives up to 25% more, and ~25% (1 core power) not used.

added: I've also noted very high cpu usage at core level (red bars), its strange, in common tasks it must be much lower

neologix
Very interested

Post by neologix » Wed May 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Eventually I'll play Phantasy Star IV with this; if I can get through an entire playthrough of that, then I consider an emulator usable for me.