Getting Started! - Duke Nukem (DOS) 'Port'

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Fernando

Post by Fernando » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:09 am

I like the new colors. They are more... natural? Before it looked like he had sunburns all over his body :D

dosboss
Interested

Post by dosboss » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:13 am

Haha, yeah, that was my logic :P

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:47 am

This looks really good !
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

fripperama

Post by fripperama » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 pm

This is awesome, very good news for the genny developers and lovers!

Do you plan to make a completely re-port, using the same graphics and colors, or will you upgrade the colors (not the sprite art) to the genny stardards?

dosboss
Interested

Post by dosboss » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:34 pm

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:This looks really good !
That's what I'm goin for!
fripperama wrote: Do you plan to make a completely report, using the same graphics and colors, or will you upgrade the colors (not the sprite art) to the genny stardards?
I'm a little indecisive here, while as I said earlier, i have been optimizing the palette where I can, I had thought about completely re-doing the colors, but honestly? I worry it will damage it's aesthetical charm, that and I'd much rather be spending my time getting the game running and functional before going for a time sink like that, later on down the track though? who knows, I'm willing to experiment to deliver the highest quality end game....(and besides, there's always Duke Nukem 2...*cough)

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:03 am

I guess you'll be extracting the data for maps and item positions as well?

Which part do you think will be the toughest to do?

dosboss
Interested

Post by dosboss » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:07 am

Indeed!, I've managed to compile a big collage of all the maps,
I think the hardest part will be becoming proficient in 68K ASM ( I know it's not a necessity in most cases, but if you're gonna do something, do it right y'know?), I've been power reading through various manuals and references though, it's nowhere near as daunting as most source code makes it out to be :P

aside from that though I think the biggest hurdle will be replicating the AI as it was in the DOS version, even in that respect though I guess there's room for improvisation

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:20 am

dosboss wrote:I think the hardest part will be becoming proficient in 68K ASM ( I know it's not a necessity in most cases, but if you're gonna do something, do it right y'know?),
One idea would be to do a pass in C and then optimize the important bits in assembly. I'm pretty confident you'd be able to pull off a fair bit with decent performance in C. For Propeller, as long as I wasn't blatantly sloppy, things kept running at 60fps. Of course, it wasn't running a complete game yet.

For AI, you could try to interpret the x86 code in the binary. Won't be exactly fun, though.

dosboss
Interested

Post by dosboss » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:30 am

djcouchycouch wrote: One idea would be to do a pass in C and then optimize the important bits in assembly. I'm pretty confident you'd be able to pull off a fair bit with decent performance in C. For Propeller, as long as I wasn't blatantly sloppy, things kept running at 60fps. Of course, it wasn't running a complete game yet.

For AI, you could try to interpret the x86 code in the binary. Won't be exactly fun, though.
Yeah, I'm sure by the time I near completion of the engine I'll have a good idea on how it will run performance wise, I'd like to incorporate some assembly in somewhere though, it's always been somewhat of a personal aspiration to get my head around it, that and I find the hardware documentation fascinating :P

I thought about taking that route for the AI, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it I suppose

ammianus
Very interested

Post by ammianus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:46 am

djcouchycouch wrote: For AI, you could try to interpret the x86 code in the binary. Won't be exactly fun, though.
Good old observation, try to understand the rules like they are a black box.