newbie creating genesis graphics

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:22 pm

Fonzie wrote:So, no way to add .s files (in a VERY simple way) to a Stef devkit project?
I ask that because I'm pretty embarrassed about explaining the things to some peoples when the difficulty is just to add few sprites to the rom (storing tiles in C program, as unpadded unsigned char, is just silly to me) ^^ :D

Thx for the help, I suspect Bastien will give up soon.
"Very simple" is not a phrase you normally use in console programming. There will ALWAYS be a certain element of work required that the programmer has to be willing to do. If you want "very simple", stick to Visual BASIC. :lol:

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:48 pm

B2T ?
GSS ?
Genitile ?
or just Maccer ?

about tiles and sprites, we have a lot of tools, no ?

Fonzie
Genny lover

Post by Fonzie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Yeah, I have no problem at all using XGCC or whatever.. But I'm just stuck when it comes to explaining how to add a .s file to a devkit that I don't have installed and where the linking/compilation process seems a bit automatized ;P

So, someone that use Stef devkit, would mind to explain what to do when you want to add a .s file to a project? :P

rodolforg
Interested

Post by rodolforg » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:51 am

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:Sorry, I uninstalled Gimp... didn't like it (or I couldn't find it suitable for pixel art)... I still prefer MS-Paint (you can all call me crazy now :wink: )... but I'll test that plugin anyway.
Crazy ;) Try to set Grid size an use layers to sprites animation, for example... Make big pictures it's also good and easy too. Load palettes too... At least for me =]
TmEE co.(TM) wrote:EDIT : Tested it, and works OK if the source image is 4-bit, otherwise you'll have "can't convert to 16-color image" error.
I think I said that. The image must be properly "configured" for megadrive raw specifications. Anyway, at Filters > Misc > Megadrive adjust menu item, it will modify your image into correct possible sizes and color amount.
TmEE co.(TM) wrote:And you should add such ASM saving format too that uses DC.Ls :

Code: Select all

DC.L   $01234567   ; one line from a tile 
I'll do that. Thanks for your suggestion =] But what's this syntax name?

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:27 am

Syntax name.... I have no idea... ASM DC.L file ?

Anyway, i'll be using MS-Paint for most my GFX needs, and maybe GIMP to add some effects... I have my own graphics conversion tools (which I'll rewrite, since they are too pain in the ass to use :wink: ).

Anyway, Keep up the work, this is really cool what you're doing.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:54 am

Fonzie wrote:
So, someone that use Stef devkit, would mind to explain what to do when you want to add a .s file to a project? :P
to allow my INCBIN I also added

MACCER= $(GDK_PATH)maccer68k
at the top (GDK_PATH is the full path to devkit bin path)
and

%.s: %.asm
	$(MACCER) -o $@ $<
and mysfile.o in the objects to link

but it's similar to stef's bintoc .....
perhaps for the unsigned char problem, you should use another of the .bat file like bintocu32 ?
or is it related to the .align x syntax ? (I fight with this still yesterday!!)

the makefile and the bat are in the bin folder...
I personnaly move all of this in my project dev folder....
I can't really put my makefile here since it's different from stef's makefile... easy to understand but for someone who just started, I'm afraid he'll be lost ;)

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:12 am

Fonzie wrote:Yeah, I have no problem at all using XGCC or whatever.. But I'm just stuck when it comes to explaining how to add a .s file to a devkit that I don't have installed and where the linking/compilation process seems a bit automatized ;P

.s file are automatically compiled when they are in your sources directory but the .s file should be in GCC asm format as i use gcc for compilation.
If you want to use your own assembler, you can change it in the dev kit makefile :)

Edit : if you modify the assembler, you won't be able to recompile the librairie .s files as they are wrote on GCC syntax, anyway i guess you don't need to recompile the librairie source files ;)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:53 am

Stef wrote:
Fonzie wrote:Yeah, I have no problem at all using XGCC or whatever.. But I'm just stuck when it comes to explaining how to add a .s file to a devkit that I don't have installed and where the linking/compilation process seems a bit automatized ;P

.s file are automatically compiled when they are in your sources directory but the .s file should be in GCC asm format as i use gcc for compilation.
If you want to use your own assembler, you can change it in the dev kit makefile :)

Edit : if you modify the assembler, you won't be able to recompile the librairie .s files as they are wrote on GCC syntax, anyway i guess you don't need to recompile the librairie source files ;)
I'd split it into three makefiles - the main makefile calls an assembly makefile, and then the normal project makefile. The assembly makefile will use the assembler of your choice to make some .o files, then the normal project makefile will simply include the .o files. It won't need to build them since they'll already be built when it gets called. The idea is you don't HAVE to have a single makefile. That will avoid having to modify which assembler gcc uses. If you have a .s file in gas format, don't put that in the assembler makefile and the project makefile will use gas to assemble it.

plee
Very interested

Post by plee » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:52 am

Move the .s file to where you have the devkit files and add your .s file to the obj list in the makefile...and in theory this should work. :D