newbie creating genesis graphics

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

tinctu
Very interested

Post by tinctu » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:51 pm

Yeah GIMP plugin is ultimate solution.Please Rodolforg send me link for that plugin...

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Fonzie wrote:Yeah. Like i said a bit before, better not bother about the 32x... Because each "new game" might have its own file format, size and compression. Top of that, all the drawing softwares already handle 256 paletized and 16bit true color... So... :)
Well, at least being able to output RLE for static backgrounds would be nice. Of course, you could always do better by using something like RNC on a "normal" background image. :D

rodolforg
Interested

Post by rodolforg » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:33 am

Well, SEGA CD uses the Genesis VDP as it is... So, nothing different.
I didn't read all about 32x graphics, but the only interesting feature I see would only be export RLE encoded, as you people have already said. At least, at my point of view. If you want me to implement it, I need to know how 32x implements RLE conding...

Here's the plugin for Windows. Sorry my delay... I use Linux and I had to figure out how to compile from here to Windows. Please report any bugs and suggestions.

http://www.4shared.com/file/29914098/cc ... orter.html

This plugin allows you to prepare the image to megadrive format and save it.
On menu Filters appears an option Misc > Megadrive adjust: this will turn your image 16-bit colors (asks you if want to use a previously made palette or a new one from image) and crop your image to 8x8, 16x16 or 32x32 multiple size. Ctrl-Z works step-by-step (undo crop, undo colormap changes, etc.). If you think that's better undo all at once, please let me know.

In order to export it, save with ".smdi" extension. A dialog will appear asking some options before really save it.

It's impossible to load it back by now, and maybe never ;)

Again, please report any bugs and suggestions. New feature requests as well ;)

LocalH
Very interested

Post by LocalH » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:57 am

"This application has failed to start because libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Edit: Wait, didn't read that it was a GIMP plugin. My bad.

Fonzie
Genny lover

Post by Fonzie » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:51 am

Well, half half.. The segacd have a rendering hardware... which render picture from RAM to RAM... This rendering hardware have several little stamping modes, one use a 2048*2048 map made of 32*32 (or 16*16, i don't remember) pixel tiles.

But.. haha :P who gonna use the segacd rendering hardware? Maybe in a contest? :D

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:45 pm

Fonzie wrote:
Well, half half.. The segacd have a rendering hardware... which render picture from RAM to RAM... This rendering hardware have several little stamping modes, one use a 2048*2048 map made of 32*32 (or 16*16, i don't remember) pixel tiles.

But.. haha :P who gonna use the segacd rendering hardware? Maybe in a contest? :D
I'm working on a demo using it. When it's done, I'll be sure to post it here. :)

Anywho, I can't test the plugin as I use linux. Any chance of a linux version of the plugin getting posted?

bastien
Very interested

Post by bastien » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:32 pm

oooops, it's been 3 weeks i tried to add one sprite to steff devkit without success
Fonzie tried to help me, but since he couldn't edit steff functions to handle char tiles, he gave up... always use asm to pad/store tiles he said

why no genesis image tools ouputs 32bit array for tiles... because, they always output unsigned char arrays... and the unsigned char is never padded to int inside the rom... so it sux
and how can i add a "*.s" with stef's compilator?

Thanks a lot for your help it's hard for a noob to dev in MD :P

rodolforg
Interested

Post by rodolforg » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:48 pm

bastien,

do you want a 32-bit array output?

I think I'll put this option on my GIMP plugin? Did anybody test it?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:11 am

rodolforg wrote:bastien,

do you want a 32-bit array output?

I think I'll put this option on my GIMP plugin? Did anybody test it?
As I said, I would, but I need a linux plugin.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:45 pm

What's the last version of Gimp that runs under Win98SE and can that plug in be used with that version ?
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

rodolforg
Interested

Post by rodolforg » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:31 pm

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:What's the last version of Gimp that runs under Win98SE and can that plug in be used with that version ?
Here you are, the last GTK+ version for Windows 98. I don't know if you must use this old version of GIMP, though.

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/old.html

As soon as I come to home, I'll compile my plugin for you, but I can't test it...
Chilly Willy wrote:As I said, I would, but I need a linux plugin.
Please, add me on MSN Messeger or ICQ network, if you use it. I don't want to release the source code before it be "(dumb) bug free".

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:15 pm

rodolforg wrote:
Chilly Willy wrote:As I said, I would, but I need a linux plugin.
Please, add me on MSN Messeger or ICQ network, if you use it. I don't want to release the source code before it be "(dumb) bug free".
I added your ICQ to my buddy list, and put my ICQ number in my profile.

rodolforg
Interested

Post by rodolforg » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:14 am

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:10 pm

Sorry, I uninstalled Gimp... didn't like it (or I couldn't find it suitable for pixel art)... I still prefer MS-Paint (you can all call me crazy now :wink: )... but I'll test that plugin anyway.

EDIT : Tested it, and works OK if the source image is 4-bit, otherwise you'll have "can't convert to 16-color image" error. And you should add such ASM saving format too that uses DC.Ls :

Code: Select all

DC.L   $01234567   ; one line from a tile 
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Fonzie
Genny lover

Post by Fonzie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:48 pm

So, no way to add .s files (in a VERY simple way) to a Stef devkit project?
I ask that because I'm pretty embarrassed about explaining the things to some peoples when the difficulty is just to add few sprites to the rom (storing tiles in C program, as unpadded unsigned char, is just silly to me) ^^ :D

Thx for the help, I suspect Bastien will give up soon.