Mega Modem / Xband project

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

rush6432

Mega Modem / Xband project

Post by rush6432 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Just thought i'd drop by here and see if anyone was interested in helping with an interesting project.

First off, ive got a copy of the sega genesis xband modem source code for the genesis side and server side but its only about 75 percent there...

Ive also got the xband game patches for super street fighter 2, mortal kombat 2, nba jam as well as the raw assembly source for these game patches which show exactly where the routines to communicate with the modem were hacked in.

My proposed idea is to use the mega-modem which communicated at 2400 baud (just like the xband modem which communicated at the same speed) to see if we cant add multiplayer modem feature to MK2/NbaJam/SSF2 by using the provided xband patch source code and a little investigating to see how the mega-modem is accessed (hardware address wise)

The modem itself uses a standard hayes command set it seems from what another member of sega-16 has figured out so far.

All that would need to be done would have a jmp routine at the begining of the rom file to jump to some custom created code thats inserted at the end of the rom file that sets up a modem connection (dialer/answer screen) and then jump back to the begining of the rom file right after the jmp command we just called, but with a connection between two genesis consoles.

The idea is to lock them together via the vblank routines to keep them on the same page so to speak. The game patches from the xband modem already do this and also have latency built in as well....

If anyone is interested in helping please let me know!

rush6432

Post by rush6432 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Well if anyone is interested send me a PM. Id like to hopefully make use of this source code some as it has quite a bit of information in it and is something that should be atleast documented or out there.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:53 pm

it is something I'm interested ... but I lacks free time
At some times, I was looking at the Edge and the brazilian modem, looking for a way to connect Genny to the net but I'm no longer able to continue...

good luck