Anyone ever use yy chr for MD graphics?

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

old man

Anyone ever use yy chr for MD graphics?

Post by old man » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:54 am

It has a graphics mode for just about every game system up to the GBA including the master system, game gear, and genesis/md. I'm trying to figure out how you would go about getting the graphics from it to a G/MD rom. There isn't much documentation though because the author was Japanese and most people use it for sprite editing SNES games. If I could figure out how to use it for MD games it would be a great sprite editor. Anyone who wants to take a look can get it here:

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=list&type=tools

Just scroll down to the bottom of the page. There are two versions. You'll want the yychr99 download.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:55 am

Hey, that editor looks pretty good. I've never heard of it before, but it seems to do a pretty good job. To set it up to work with uncompressed Mega Drive tiles, do the following:
1. Set "Graphic format" to "4BPP MSX(/Genesys/MSC)"
2. Set "Pattern" to "Normal"
3. Set "Zoom" to "x16"

old man

Post by old man » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:31 am

Yeah, it's pretty easy to use. I just wish I knew how to use the save output. It looks like it saves it as a .rom file, but I'm not sure how this relates to genesis roms if at all. :? It would make a great graphics editor if there was a way to convert the file to a resource to be added during compiling.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:15 am

What YY-CHR does as an editor in regard to the Genesis graphics that general purpose graphics editors aren't capable?

I mean, for me it seems way much easier to make a 16-color bitmap, and convert it with a command line tool during build process.

If it would support multipalette (and/or two layer) images with nametable generation, that would make sense - that's what is not very easy to achieve with general purpose graphics editors.

old man

Post by old man » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:14 am

I like the layout of the editor, and the way you can use palettes with it. The more I play with it though the more it's limitations become apparent. You don't have as much control over the palettes as it seems you do. It would be nice to have a graphics editor like Graphics Gale that would let you build and manage MD/Genesis specific graphics. I think yy chr was originally intended for editing NES chr rom files, and that's the output it works in.

It seems like it would be a headache managing palettes for a large game without some kind of editor.

bahabulle

Post by bahabulle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:24 pm

Graphics in genesis game are often compressed so it's difficult to see it in an graphics editor.

With YY-CHR, you can save/load a bitmap file (take/paste snapshot) if you prefer used better editor (like photoshop, gimp...).