Can external programs access ram data used by emulators?

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

cajones

Can external programs access ram data used by emulators?

Post by cajones » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:49 am

It's been a while since I've really tried using ROMs for my accessibility-related projects (I made the mistake of trying to create an accessibility program for Sonic3 for my first attempt, and couldn't get my program to interpret level layouts in a useful way).

Anyway, my accessibility program tests so far have had the giant flaw of relying on save states for their data. It would be much more convenient if they could access the data that the emulator is using directly.
But I have no idea if that data can be accessed, or how I would go about accessing it.
I'd appreciate any help that could be offered.
(I'm mainly using Fusion and Megasis)

andlabs
Very interested

Post by andlabs » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:22 am

Not in a safe, direct, and reliable way unless the emulator author provided such a means. Gens/GS (not yet with Gens/GS II) does give you the ability to write plugins; I don't know the specifics and you'd have to talk to GerbilSoft about it. You could write that capability into Gens (preferably a newer version, like Gens/GS or Gens Rerecording or Gens Kmod++) or Genesis Plus GX or other open source emulators yourself as well, if you know how.