Need a Tut with images for the Stef Dev Kit ...

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:26 pm

Look over the examples in the devkit, then read through the Genesis docs, then ask questions when you run into something you don't understand after reading the docs.

Think of it like reading a book where you need a dictionary to understand some of the words - if you HAVE a dictionary on hand, people get pissed off if you keep asking what words mean instead of using the dictionary FIRST. :wink:

Alex Khan
Very interested

Post by Alex Khan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:11 am

Chilly I promise I have spent one week trying to get the Stef Kit to copulate with my IDE.

I even e-mailed Stef personally.

I have spent night and day trying to get it to work.

Then I came to these forums and started firing questions. :)
I need a Black Belt in Game Programming!

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:24 am

Why you so depends on IDE? You don't really need it, you could develop large project without using IDE at all. The only thing you need, to make the work more comfortable, is programming-oriented text editor - with syntax highlight, and optionally with feature for running external programs by hotkey.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:13 pm

I pointed out Geany, which is a nice editor. As far as the devkit goes, as long as the makefile tells the compiler where to find the includes and object files you use with the program, you're fine. I always put my stuff in a location relative to the toolchain to make it easy to find. Then cut and past common lines from one makefile to the next. Like

Code: Select all

INCS = -I$(GENDEV)/m68k/include -I$(GENDEV)/m68k/sdk/include -I.
FLAGS = $(OPTION) -m68000 -Wall -O1 -c -fomit-frame-pointer $(INCS)
LIBS = -L$(GENDEV)/m68k/lib -L$(GENDEV)/m68k/sdk/lib -lmd -lgcc
Remember that -I<path> tells gcc what path to look along for includes, and -L<path> tells the linker the path to look along for libraries.

Alex Khan
Very interested

Post by Alex Khan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:02 pm

Shiru wrote:Why you so depends on IDE? You don't really need it, you could develop large project without using IDE at all. The only thing you need, to make the work more comfortable, is programming-oriented text editor - with syntax highlight, and optionally with feature for running external programs by hotkey.
Yes Shiru I just found this out ... Chilly recommended geany to me.

Chilly,

I have geany installed this is exciting news, you mean I don't have to use all these IDE's?

Okay I've been studying BEX and the Basic language for two months now so ... I have to make this game with BEX I can't switch gears and jump into C I've invested too much time in this.

So Stef Kit is out for now.

Chilly can you please advise me on how to get geany to work with allegro?

The stuff people are doing with Allegro is fantastic. I was going to do windows games with VB but I spent a few months studying C.

So ... yeah Chilly please give me a few pointers on how to integrate geany and allegro?

Man ... if John Carmack can make games without a degree maybe I can pull something off. :(

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:10 pm

You don't integrate an IDE with libraries. Libraries are what a programmer uses to make his code simpler. When writing a program, you use calls to the libraries instead of writing large amounts of code to do something similar. So using allegro has to do with how you write code, not what you use to edit said code.

If you wish to use allegro, you need to read the docs that come with allegro. By the way, there's currently no port of allegro for the Genesis. There is for the Dreamcast. So Genesis programs cannot use allegro at all.

Remember, Geany is basically just a text editor with some extra features. It is up to the programmer to actually write the programs. No IDE will write a program for you.

Alex Khan
Very interested

Post by Alex Khan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:44 pm

Chilly!

Hmmmm ... I understand Library is for calls to functions on the Library mkaing a programmer's life easier [Understood]

Chilly, I am wanting to use Geany with allegro like so ....

http://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Geany

Not for Genesis stuff but Windows game programming.

What do you think of the above link?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:43 pm

That's just telling you how to build the Allegro libraries from within Geany. You could also do the same thing from the mingw shell, or just get prebuilt Allegro libraries.

Alex Khan
Very interested

Post by Alex Khan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:55 pm

I took your advice downloaded Dev C++ and installed it's dev pack allegro library.

Darn easy to use! :)

I tried Geany ... how ever I am having this error when I execute a build

Example:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
void main()
{
cout << "Hello World!" << endl; cout << "Welcome to C++ Programming" << endl; }

Error in Dos Window:
'"./hello"' is not recognized as an internal or external command.

Yeah I included the .cpp file in the project.

What gives?

By the way Chilly if put pascal source code or even basic source code into Geany it would still compile right?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:42 pm

"./" is the current directory in unix style, and "hello" is the name of the app you compiled. Windows doesn't like unix style paths. You need to use a Windows style path, or change to a mingw/cygwin shell which DOES understand unix style paths.

For Pascal or BASIC, you need a Pascal or BASIC compiler. Geany is just an editor - it doesn't compile anything itself. In the prefs, you can set external apps for things like building.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:14 pm

I finally fixed the images as my site gone back :
viewtopic.php?p=2718

Alex Khan
Very interested

Post by Alex Khan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:20 pm

Very Nice Stef!

Thank You! :)