SGDK and tilemap-editors

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

Boyfinn
Very interested

SGDK and tilemap-editors

Post by Boyfinn » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Do you guys know any good tilemap/map editors that can export compatible tilemaps for SGDK?
BEEhive is not willing to co-operate at the moment so im looking around for alternatives.

Stef
Very interested

Re: SGDK and tilemap-editors

Post by Stef » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 pm

Myself i'm using Tiled to edit the map then just use the PNG export and feed rescomp with it, it will automatically rebuilt the tilemap out of it :)
You may need to convert the PNG to indexed format.

Boyfinn
Very interested

Post by Boyfinn » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:30 am

Wasn't rescomp built into SGDK?
In my experience it doesn't handle duplicate-tiles very well.

cero
Very interested

Post by cero » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:33 am

If you have a PNG, you can try my tools as well:
github.com/clbr/tileoptflip
github.com/clbr/nes (tools/tilecoords outputs a map based on an optimized and a normal image)

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Boyfinn wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:30 am
Wasn't rescomp built into SGDK?
In my experience it doesn't handle duplicate-tiles very well.
rescomp is inded built-in into SGDK, it's just the resource compiler.
And i can confirm you that now duplicated tiles are perfectly handled (hopefully) ;)

Boyfinn
Very interested

Post by Boyfinn » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:03 pm

I got BEEhive working. Are there any examples how to utilize the tilemap and map files generated by beehive?

Mills
Interested

Post by Mills » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:37 am

Hi, I was porting a game I made for the game boy to SGDK. You can export the entire map created in gameboy map builder (with every tile using 4 colours), to a big image. Then I use rescomp (works great) as stef said.
Stef wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 pm
Myself i'm using Tiled to edit the map then just use the PNG export and feed rescomp with it, it will automatically rebuilt the tilemap out of it.
You may need to convert the PNG to indexed format.
But... I just wanted to import the already created tileset / map array, without using rescomp, and it never works :?.

Using the scroll sample viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2771 did not help, because if I try to create a map and tileset from the sample images (using tiled for example), it stops working and the maps look corrupted.

Using rescomp you have to create big images containing huge maps, and every map rescomp generates, there is also a new tileset. I want to have a lot of maps sharing just one tileset.

I tried Tiled, and also gameboy map builder, and no luck, the tileset might be loaded correctly, but only the map arrays generated by rescomp are working.

Also I wanted to ask if it is possible to use more than 1 palette on the same plane, something like in the game boy color, you have a map array containing the tile index, and another map containing the tile palettes. And if a software like BEEhive can export maps like this.

Thanks.

EDIT: I think I discovered the problem.

When rescomp converts tilesets created with other programs, it flips some tiles to optimize the map, so the tileset loaded may have some missing tiles from the original image, and you can't recreate the map again :(.

If you use 16x16 tiles to make a map, be sure they are not symmetrical, so that the flipping optimization does not change the tileset.

I also read about rescomp being able to use 64 colour images for planes, (Awesome).

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Maybe have an option to turn off tile optimization for people doing conversions where they know they don't need it?

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:36 am

Not the first time some people request that feature so i will probably add it in the end ;)

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Mills wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:37 am
Also I wanted to ask if it is possible to use more than 1 palette on the same plane, something like in the game boy color, you have a map array containing the tile index, and another map containing the tile palettes. And if a software like BEEhive can export maps like this.
Speaking of hardware, yes every tile can chose 1 of 4 existing palettes.
HELP. Spanish TVs are brain washing people to be hostile to me.

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:30 pm

[cont]
To set the palette go to the plane pattern table, and each 2bytes is a tile descriptor.
The 16bit descriptor includes the tile number, the palette and other flags.
HELP. Spanish TVs are brain washing people to be hostile to me.