MegaAtoms - Made with SGDK

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

TheGouldFish

MegaAtoms - Made with SGDK

Post by TheGouldFish » Mon May 21, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi all, after seeing a thread mentioning where are the games I thought I'd make one about the title I've recently 'released' called.

Its a multiplayer turn based game, where you have to take over the game board by using chain reactions to take over the squares around you.

The art was done for a 360 xbox indie version I did (by the amazing Chris Hildenbrand of Sprite Attack), which I've been slowly reducing and cleaning up for the more limited Megadrive hardware :)

Its been alot of fun, and I'm continuing to work on the game and I am doing videos on its development along with putting up each major release on github as well so people can see the code and the artwork and hopefully get more people into working with this great tool set and platform :)

The Rom can be found here:
https://github.com/thegouldfish/MegaAtoms/releases

There is a link to the video series as well on the github page, if you are interested.

Should hopefully have V0.2 done next week which should include more animations and some form of basic how to play guide.

And again thanks for the development environment, I've had lots of fun so far and will continue to mess around (though expect some new threads as I have a few issues which are most likely my understanding of how it all works).

cloudstrifer
Very interested

Re: MegaAtoms - Made with SGDK

Post by cloudstrifer » Tue May 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Nice!

Miquel
Very interested

Post by Miquel » Fri May 25, 2018 11:37 pm

Interesting!

Is it really based on a physical phenomena or is just a convenient name?

A few things a have gathered so far:
- It will be less tedious to play if the game remembers each player cursor
- It could be hard to understand what's happening whit all this continuous "explosions", at the beginning I thought of some tips to teach the player, but actually is much simpler: if you display with a different color for one iteration (or few) the newly created atoms/electrons it will be easier to follow what's going on.

The devil it's in the details!
HELP. Spanish TVs are brain washing people to be hostile to me.

TheGouldFish

Post by TheGouldFish » Mon May 28, 2018 8:34 am

Its based on an Amiga of the same name (there have been a few versions of the game with the same name).

point 1, I can easily remember the location for each players cursor, that shouldn't take long to add.
point 2, I'm planning on putting a mini tutorial / how to play, in the game to explain the rules. As its been something I've been playing for over 20+ years I tend to put off putting any help into the game as I expect people to learn it like I did ;)

I'm in the middle of doing V0.2 and adding in animations to help make it clearer which atoms will grow and which will explode.

TheGouldFish

Post by TheGouldFish » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:09 pm

Just released Version 0.2, https://github.com/thegouldfish/MegaAto ... s/tag/V0.2

Got lots of new animations, a quick tutorial and some visual fixes.

One thing I've not been able to fix yet is the music stopping when I switch between states.