How do i edit the header

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

orlanrod
Very interested

How do i edit the header

Post by orlanrod » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:14 am

How do i edit the game's header, so it displays the message i want on startup, rather than the Sega copyright stuff?

Thanks.

Stef
Very interested

Re: How do i edit the header

Post by Stef » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:22 am

You have no way to modify the Sega copyright message. This is hardwired in the system and not present in your ROM, the best thing you can do is to display another message right after to disqualify it.

orlanrod
Very interested

Post by orlanrod » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:23 pm

Stef wrote:You have no way to modify the Sega copyright message. This is hardwired in the system and not present in your ROM, the best thing you can do is to display another message right after to disqualify it.

Ah okay, i'll do that.

MrTamk1s
Very interested

Post by MrTamk1s » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:24 pm

Stef wrote:You have no way to modify the Sega copyright message. This is hardwired in the system and not present in your ROM, the best thing you can do is to display another message right after to disqualify it.
To clarify his statement, the Sega copyright message is generated by the system's TMSS. You could do something like Nolddor did in Bug Hunt to disqualify the copyright message.

As for actually editing the ROM header for a SGDK project, the header code is found at (Your SGDK project root)/src/boot/rom_head.c . In that code, you can modify the copyright org and ROM title (which you should do upon final release), as well as SRAM setup data.
SGDK homebrew dev and Unity3D Indie dev.
Sega does what Nintendont!

orlanrod
Very interested

Post by orlanrod » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:40 pm

MrTamk1s wrote:
To clarify his statement, the Sega copyright message is generated by the system's TMSS. You could do something like Nolddor did in Bug Hunt to disqualify the copyright message.

As for actually editing the ROM header for a SGDK project, the header code is found at (Your SGDK project root)/src/boot/rom_head.c . In that code, you can modify the copyright org and ROM title (which you should do upon final release), as well as SRAM setup data.
Looking at the video; kinda odd the he disqualifies the previous message, then proceeds to display the Sega logo afterwards.... 8p

Alright, will do, thanks!

matteus
Very interested

Post by matteus » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:19 pm

Hadn't really seen any of Nolddor's work up until now! That's a really cool game :)