Research questions

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

orlanrod
Very interested

Research questions

Post by orlanrod » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:29 am

Just some info i need, as i am getting closer to starting working full time on my game.

1.What is the maximum amount of tiles and sprites can their be in vram?

My game will use 16x16 tiles with 50 unique tiles in each tilemap of 4, 6 16x24 world character sprites, and 10 24x32 for battle mode characters.

2.How do i remove and upload a new set of tiles and sprites? The character goes from the world, to battle area for example.

3.How much rom data can i hold a Sega Genesis cart? For an average size game.

Thanks.

Sik
Very interested

Re: Research questions

Post by Sik » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:46 am

Yeah that should fit in VRAM easily.

Also 4MB without special hardware.
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:55 am

If you use the SPR_xxx methods then just use the SPR_init(..) methods to initialize a new sprite then the SPR_update(..) method will process everything to make the given list of sprite correctly updated in the VDP (and their tileset uploaded to VRAM when required).
When you initialize the Sprite engine with the SPR_init(..) method, the given value is the number of tiles you want to reserve in VRAM just for sprites, it's generally better to give a bit more that what you consume (give 400 for 256 actually used tiles is a good deal so the sprite engine can cache some often used tiles).
But given your numbers, the VRAM should be able to store everything at once (~1400 available tiles with the default SGDK settings).

orlanrod
Very interested

Post by orlanrod » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:47 pm

Stef wrote:If you use the SPR_xxx methods then just use the SPR_init(..) methods to initialize a new sprite then the SPR_update(..) method will process everything to make the given list of sprite correctly updated in the VDP (and their tileset uploaded to VRAM when required).
When you initialize the Sprite engine with the SPR_init(..) method, the given value is the number of tiles you want to reserve in VRAM just for sprites, it's generally better to give a bit more that what you consume (give 400 for 256 actually used tiles is a good deal so the sprite engine can cache some often used tiles).
But given your numbers, the VRAM should be able to store everything at once (~1400 available tiles with the default SGDK settings).
Ah okay, cool. Yeah, just making a couple small experimental games while establishing a new IPs, to get some experience. But completed games, not demos. Then i'll see my options fron there on. xB