SDGK 2, 3 and 4 palette support for backgrounds?

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

matteus
Very interested

SDGK 2, 3 and 4 palette support for backgrounds?

Post by matteus » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:50 pm

I know this is probably a request that cannot be achieved? But could we possible have a VDP_drawTitleScreenImageEx function with multiple palette support? I just know my video player could do with the added colour support :D Is it an issue with ResComp that stops this being possible?

Stef
Very interested

Re: SDGK 2, 3 and 4 palette support for backgrounds?

Post by Stef » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:52 pm

VDP_drawTitleScreenImageEx ?
You can use VDP_drawImageEx(..) method and having multiple palette, actually rescomp support multi palette image so you can just PAL0 in your base tile but PAL1 to PAL3 will be used as well if needed :)

matteus
Very interested

Post by matteus » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:18 pm

Really!?!? So ResComp already supports multiple palettes??? Wow why didn't I know this lol

matteus
Very interested

Post by matteus » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:41 pm

oh I see but you can't give it a 45 colour image and it fix any issues it encounters with certain tiles :)

tile [1,0] reference different palette.rm

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:53 am

matteus wrote:oh I see but you can't give it a 45 colour image and it fix any issues it encounters with certain tiles :)

Actually you can have image up to 64 colors but in fact you can only really use 61 colors at max as 0 index of each palette is transparent.
Indeed you cannot have a tile having more than 16 colors and you should have each tile using independent palette so definitely all palette work should be done before (tile 0 referring color0-15, tile 1 referring color 16-31...) and i don't know which tool you can use to make that easily. If you use a soft as "tiled" it can generate a global PNG image from map and tileset but i don't know if it preserve the palette information.

matteus
Very interested

Post by matteus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:14 pm

Stef wrote:
matteus wrote:oh I see but you can't give it a 45 colour image and it fix any issues it encounters with certain tiles :)

Actually you can have image up to 64 colors but in fact you can only really use 61 colors at max as 0 index of each palette is transparent.
Indeed you cannot have a tile having more than 16 colors and you should have each tile using independent palette so definitely all palette work should be done before (tile 0 referring color0-15, tile 1 referring color 16-31...) and i don't know which tool you can use to make that easily. If you use a soft as "tiled" it can generate a global PNG image from map and tileset but i don't know if it preserve the palette information.
Is there a standard editor people use for this type of graphics work? I've done a search and there seems to be loads! If you know of one that is particularly good I'd be very grateful!

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:49 pm

Personally i'm using Tiled and Gimp2, but they don't have native Megadrive constraint, you have to extra work to do for that.
You should check this one, made specifically for Megadrive :
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1392